Chapter twenty-five

Chapter twenty-five:

A week rolled in like nothing. The days went by in school while talking all about the camping trip and at home, I avoided Rebecca and dad. She didn't put many efforts anyway but dad tried to have a conversation. I, however, brushed him off.

At school, Caleb didn't make any move. I wonder what he is up to. He was just normal with me which was kinda putting my mood off since I wanted him to do something. Maybe he is targeting at something really huge. But for my own good, I'm not gonna lose.

I complete packing my bags for tomorrow morning and lie on my bed, facing the ceiling.

Phew. Done with important work.

My phone buzzes.

Unknown

Meet me behind Darcel cafè in
nxt ten mins
!THIS IS NOT A PRANK!

I furrow my eyebrows, wondering who it could be. I have a guess but I gotta see it myself. And besides, there's no need to be afraid, considering I know self-defence tricks.

In the next few minutes, I'm walking behind the Darcel Café. A muscular man is standing there, showing his back to him. He is wearing a crinkled white shirt and tight black jeans. He turns around when he hears me walking closer.

Harry.

He is standing there calmly with both of his hands in the pockets. His face is pale, almost lost colour. His eyes are bloodshot red and puffy. Has he been crying?

"Harry..." I breath out, confused about what to say.

He walks closer to me. I could feel strong energy coming toward me. A certain type of fear ran down my spine as he stopped about five feet away from me.

"Amber," he scoffs. "Do you have any idea what happened?" He says through gritted teeth. He looks at him furiously. His breaths are shaky but his eyes...they are sinister.

"Are...yo..you okay?" I stutter.

He smirks. A sinister smirk. "Two days ago, assuming that you might've talked to your dad, I suggested that my mom goes for an interview again. She was not sure but I forced her to give it a try," he explains in a monotone.

"But guess what? When your dad rejected her for the second time, she just couldn't take...it," he fumbles while speaking.

"Last night, before going to bed, she had a full bottle of sleeping pills. She is dead, Amber. She died because of you!" He yells the last part and I flinch. I take a step back, extending my hand in front of him.

"Listen, Harry, I'm sorry for your loss. I really am. My dad and I are not on good terms. He wouldn't listen to me," I try to explain but he shakes his head and walks even closer.

"I DON'T CARE ABOUT THAT. MY MOTHER IS DEAD. ALICE GRAHAM IS FUCKING DEAD AND THAT'S BECAUSE OF YOU!" he screams and clutches my arms. I'm paralysed, unable to make a move.

"But you know what?" He mutters coolly. "I know your weak point and sooner or later, I'm going to press your buttons. You'll see what it is like to lose the one you love."

He leans down to my ear. "C-A-L-E-B." He spells out and walks away while I freeze right there. Harry can't hurt Caleb, he can't. I can't lose him. He is my only hope. And Harry... he is inevitable. I have to save Caleb. And there's only one way to do that.

I'm going to move to some other town. Cut strings with every person from this town. New identity. New town. New school. And new me.

I won't get attached. Harry won't hurt Caleb if I distance myself from him. This is the only way.

●●●

I ring the doorbell. The cold night air engulfs me. I shiver and the door opens. His face glistens with happiness at my sight. I smile and rush to hug him. He doesn't say anything and holds me tight. I hold back my tear. There is so much to say, so much to say sorry about, but I don't. I just enjoy this feeling of being wanted. A feeling of being loved. A reason to live for.

"Is everything okay?" He murmurs. I pull apart and nod.

"Yeah. Just wanted to meet you," I reply. He looks at me suspiciously.

"Sloane, it is evening nine. We are going to meet tomorrow morning. What is wrong?"

"Everything is okay. I just wanted to see if you're alive or dead, considering that you didn't text me today," I joke.

He looks at him in disbelief. "Whatever. I need your help with packing. Come in!" He offers.

Yeah, Caleb. Just a last few days with you. After the trip, I will be gone. I will make this trip a memorable one. This will be a goodbye to Ellie, Wes, Charles, Selena and Caleb.

Just a week more and I will move with a new name. Amber will be gone, dead.

Caleb is everything I never had and I am grateful for such great months here. I like you, Caleb but I can't admit it. I can't break you, Caleb. You will always be in my heart.

I sigh as we walk into his room, his fingers laced in mine.

Never before have I struggled to leave, but that was until he decided to stay.

(Thanks for reading! And sorry for the errors!)