Chapter 7

So many things were so much nicer here than they were at home, but the bed was incredible. I couldn't remember the last time I slept so well. Waking up, I felt completely wonderful...until I remembered what I had to do.

As Rebecca helped me get ready for the second time, she reassured me that what I saw of the prince last night was not usual, and I really tried to believe her. I wanted so badly to believe her. As much as I didn't want to be anyone's mistress, I'd really begun to hope when I was told he was kind. What would my life be like if I were controlled by a kind man instead of one like Father?

Still, as I followed Rebecca to the designated area, I was glad that I'd only eaten a small breakfast hours earlier, so there was little chance of actually becoming sick.

Franklin was organizing everything again. He went around greeting everyone and making sure he had the correct names. When he moved on from me, I really looked at the other girls. If appearances could be believed, they were all thrilled to be here. They looked fresh and beautiful, and so much more eager than I felt. And I envied the way most of them seemed to have a real bond with their fathers. Why couldn't mine care about me even a little?

We waited for around an hour before I noticed that the prince arrived. Or almost. He was still in the hallway. If I'd been further into the room, I wouldn't have known he was there, but I was surprised to see he wasn't alone. He was holding hands with his fiance as he glowered at Franklin. I don't know what bothered me more - that he'd brought her to this or that he, once again, looked angry. I strained my ears to try and hear what was being said.

"...told you this wasn't happening," he was saying to Franklin, making him cower.

His fiance looked up at him, seeming shocked and said something I didn't hear. He ignored her in favor of scolding Franklin further.

"...father's orders," Franklin said. "...insists....will personally..."

It was frustrating only hearing tiny bits of the conversation. The room was too noisy. But was it my imagination, or did it seem as though the prince didn't want to be doing this? That would certainly explain his anger, especially if it were uncharacteristic. And it would explain why he brought his fiance with him.

I missed everything else that was said in the hall, but a moment later, the prince was dragged into the room by his fiance. She still seemed surprised by his anger, but I didn't have a clue what she was doing. But then I remembered her confusion last night. She didn't know why we were all here. She probably just hoped to diffuse a tense situation.

"No, Keira. Wait," he tried, but they were already through the door.

The noise in the room died instantly as everyone focused on her. I was gratified to see that they mostly looked ashamed or embarrassed, as they should. But I felt for her as she took in the scene, looking suddenly very uncomfortable. She didn't understand what, but she knew something wasn't right here.

The prince pulled her off to the side and they had a short whispered conversation. After a moment, he smiled and touched her face, and I found myself smiling, just a little. Obviously I didn't know them, but something told me his affection for her was genuine.

She nodded and then left, and as Franklin approached the prince, I was reminded of why I was here. My smile was instantly wiped away.

It felt so awkward standing there, waiting for the prince to sift through everyone. There were about twenty girls scattered around the room - maybe half the number that had gathered yesterday. But it seemed to take forever. I'm sure it didn't help that, unlike the other pairs around the room, Father and I had nothing to say to each other. All he was interested in communicating were threats and warnings. Something he did well enough with his eyes. And the only thing I wanted to say was that I hated him for making me do this - for making this the only option for my future. And so we stood awkwardly together while the prince made his way from girl to girl to girl.

As I watched, I remembered Penelope's words and felt a little better when I noticed that she seemed to be right. The prince looked unimpressed by the girls who acted bold and flirtatious. Maybe he was even irritated? It was hard to tell since he seemed to be good at hiding his true emotions, but I got the feeling he didn't like them very much.

Eventually, Franklin approached Father and me, with the prince at his side. I felt like I might pass out.

"Your Highness," Franklin said when they stood before us. "Lord Rinaldi and his lovely daughter, Madeline."

I curtsied and Father bowed.

"Pleasure to meet you both," the prince said, and I knew his enthusiasm was forced. He didn't want to be here any more than I did. It made me like him a little and I was able to smile genuinely. Or mostly. I was still pretty nervous.

"I hope you had a pleasant trip," he went on. "Do you live far from the castle?"

"About an hour, Your Highness," Father said. "Madeline has never been quite so far from home." It was the warmest I'd ever heard my father speak to or about me, and it was forced small talk with a stranger.

The prince met my eyes and smiled. "I hope you are enjoying your stay."

"Oh, yes-" I started, but Father spoke over me.

"Of course she is!" He laughed and I wanted to cringe at how artificial it sounded. "I dare say she's never experienced such luxury."

That was true, but it irritated me that it seemed as though he wasn't going to let me speak for myself. Did he think that the prince was looking for a mistress and her father?

To my great satisfaction, the prince focused on Father and narrowed his eyes a bit, annoyed. Then he brought his attention back to me to hear what I thought.

"I like everything very much," I told him. "My maid, Rebecca is very sweet and she's been very helpful."

The prince smiled and it actually looked genuine. "I'm glad," he said. "I've never been faced with selecting a maid for myself of course, but my sisters tell me it's very difficult to find one who suits your needs and whom you are able to tolerate."

I felt myself relaxing a little at his pleasant manner. This wasn't so bad.

"I admit I haven't had much luck so far," I said. "But I suppose that's not uncommon. Are you close with your sisters?" The question just popped out. Hearing him mention his sisters made me think of mine and the distance that Father always kept between us. I guess I forgot what I was actually supposed to be here for.

The prince looked surprised by the question but smiled fondly. "I am. Though if they ask, you must tell them I'm often inconvenienced and annoyed by them," he joked. "That is supposed to be how brothers see their sisters, after all."

I laughed.

We carried on like that for a few minutes and I was surprised by how easy it was. The prince was very skilled at impromptu chatting and I was actually enjoying myself.

But he was here to meet with everyone, I was reminded when he wrapped up the conversation.

"Madeline, it was lovely speaking with you," he said.

I curtsied and caught one of those looks from Father. If I didn't try a little harder, he'd punish me later, I was sure.

"I look forward to seeing you again, Your Highness," I said just as the prince was about to move on.

He smiled and then looked at Father for a moment before he and Franklin moved to the next girl.

I peeked at Father to see what he thought, but I couldn't tell anything by his expression. He could have been upset or he could have been thrilled. I suppose I'd find out later. Sighing, I watched the prince for a moment as he returned to that forced small talk with the blonde girl he was currently standing with. I shouldn't feel deflated now that he wasn't talking to me, but I did. I still didn't really want to be here, but talking to him even as little as I had made me realize that I liked him. Not for the intended reason, but as a friend. I'd never had any friends and if I stayed here, I might actually have a few. I didn't think I was imagining that he enjoyed our conversation as much as I did. Would that be enough? He didn't want to be doing this, so maybe he'd look for someone he could talk to.

I had to hope that was it. What would I do if I had to return home with my father?