Chapter 35

Sitting and talking with Reed was wonderful. Incredibly, the thing I thought would be so impossible - forgiving him for leaving - suddenly wasn't difficult at all now that I understood why he'd done it. Having him with me again, knowing he still loved me and that it was only his love that kept us apart, fixed everything that had been wrong in past month. I no longer worried about my future. I didn't feel anything but happiness at the thought of Michael and Rebecca's growing relationship. And I felt no hesitation to open my sketch book now. Simple things even seemed better. The flowers smelled better, the scenery was more beautiful, and colors were more vivid. I realized, of course, that those things hadn't actually changed, but it felt as if they had.

I also felt motivated to eat. At the moment, I was ravenous, actually. It had to be nearing dinner time. But I was afraid of bringing Reed inside before I could speak to everyone. Unfortunately, my stomach didn't care. After a loud grumble, Reed laughed.

"Perhaps we should head inside so you can eat," he said.

"No, it's fine," I tried. "I just want to sit here a little longer." I had no idea how I was going to keep him away long enough to explain to everyone. I knew he wouldn't agree to wait here while I did. He'd want to deal with it himself.

He smiled sadly. "I have a feeling you've skipped too many meals already. Let's go in."

I'd forgotten how incredibly perceptive he was. He wouldn't have missed the fact that I was thinner than when he left.

Knowing he wouldn't let it go, I stood with him and we headed for the house, his hand in mine. As we walked, I bit my lip, trying to figure out what to do about the rapidly approaching conflict.

"You're not worried, are you?" he teased.

I looked up at him and cringed.

"They're mad?"

"It's mostly Michael. If you wait outside I can-" I tried, though I knew he wouldn't go for it.

"You know me better than that," he said. "Don't worry. I'll be fine."

I wondered if I should try to argue. I knew Reed thought it would be cowardly to let me handle it, but I really really liked his face just the way it was.

He laughed at my expression. "It'll be fine. They won't actually do anything to me besides maybe yell. And I deserve that much."

I tightened my grip on his hand, not consoled.

Reed looked ahead at the house and let out a low whistle. "Well, here comes."

I turned to see Michael striding toward us, looking furious.

"Yeah, he's pretty mad," Reed mused and we stopped walking.

"What are you doing here?" Michael spat as he drew closer.

"Michael, wait a minute," I tried, reaching out a hand, but he ignored me. Before I knew what happened, he'd closed the distance between us and punched Reed in the eye, knocking him to the ground.

"Michael!" I cried, horrified. I tried to kneel down to check on Reed, but Michael pushed me back.

"Stay away from her!" he shouted. "You've done enough damage already!"

"Michael, stop it!" I tried to sound firm, but he didn't seem to hear me. He just continued to scowl at Reed, looking like he was trying to decide if he should pounce on him.

Reed stood up and did nothing. He didn't try to explain. He didn't try to hit Michael back. He wasn't even going to defend himself if Michael decided to hit him again.