Chapter 9

I'd been positive the prince would come to me that same day, but he didn't. Nearly a week had passed and I hadn't even seen him again. Relieved as I was, the delay made me more nervous. The longer I had to wait to get it over with and get started, the more I felt he'd be expecting when he finally did come.

Would he regret his choice when he saw me again? Did he already regret it? Would he just send me home, realizing that he wanted someone else? Why go through all the hassle and not even come see me?

My intention had been to stay in my rooms so I wouldn't have to risk seeing anyone, but being cooped up for so much time - particularly with these anxious thoughts - was starting to make me crazy. Even before I arrived at the castle, I'd been locked in my room for about a month at home.

So on the next beautiful day, I decided to go explore the gardens as I originally wanted to do. Everything was perfectly manicured and lovely, and if I could ignore the guards who were basically everywhere, it was really peaceful. It was also nice because the gardens were designed in a sort of maze. It wasn't so confusing that I had to worry about getting lost, but it made for an interesting walk.

I proudly exited the maze without asking anyone for assistance when I noticed that a guard was heading toward me. I didn't know him. I didn't really know any of the guards yet, but it was obvious he was coming for me. My stomach dropped. There was only one reason someone would have been sent to find me.

At least I wouldn't have to wait and wonder any longer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I returned to my room, I was told that the prince was waiting in the parlor. I was to prepare myself and go to him, so I went into the dressing chamber to decide what to do.

How was I supposed to know what I should wear? I hadn't been given any instructions. I had no idea what the prince would be expecting.

But he was waiting, and he probably wasn't too accustomed to doing that. Not wanting to anger him, I decided to just go as I was. I glanced in the mirror to make sure I looked alright, and then hurried to the parlor.

When I came through the door, he stood politely. He'd been sitting at the table, having tea.

"Good afternoon, Madeline." Abandoning his cup, he came toward me, stopping a few feet away.

"Your Highness." I curtsied and tried not to show how nervous I was.

"Did you enjoy your walk?" he asked pleasantly.

"Very much," I said, grateful for his consideration in trying to put me at ease. "The gardens are lovely and so peaceful."

"They are," he agreed. "I do some of my best thinking out there. When the guards can be shooed away, at least."

I laughed. "It is difficult to ignore them."

He smiled and seemed to be trying to decide something.

Was he waiting for me to do something? I didn't have a clue how to start, even with all of Penelope's training. She said that different men wanted women who behaved differently. With no point of reference, I didn't know whether any action would be too forward or too reserved. And I still didn't know if I was dressed right.

"Please relax." The prince fought a smile. "I'm only here to talk."

Confused, I watched him.

"Care for some tea?" He gestured toward the table.

"Thank you." I was still very nervous as I moved to sit down. What was he doing?

He sat in the chair opposite me, poured some tea into my cup, and then watched me for a moment before he sighed. "I know you understand why you're supposed to be here, but the truth is, I was never looking for a mistress."

Then what was I even doing here? "But, I thought...all those girls..."

He shook his head. "My father's doing, I'm afraid. I'm content as I am. And I'll be marrying soon. I have no intention of having a mistress after that."

Stunned, my mouth fell open. According to Penelope, men couldn't help themselves. They were slightly more controlled than animals. The more money and power they had, the worse they were.

The prince laughed at my astonishment and then sobered. "I love my fiance. I have for a long time. She is all I want."

It was so sweet. He could have anything and anyone he wanted, but he only wanted the one person he loved.

But then, what was I here for?

"But I'm... I mean, why am I..." I couldn't finish the question for fear of sounding rude.

He sighed again. "You don't want to be here, do you?"

Biting my lip, I debated whether I was supposed to answer that honestly. Would I be in trouble if I did?

"It's alright if you say no." He read my mind. "It's why I picked you."

He'd managed to surprise me again.

"This was your father's idea, correct?"

Still stunned, I nodded.

He frowned. "I guessed as much."

"I'm sorry, Your Highness, but I don't understand."

"I wanted you to know why I wouldn't be employing you as you were expecting," he said. "You're very lovely, and it's nothing to do with you. I just don't require a mistress. My father arranged it so that I couldn't avoid choosing someone, and so I chose you because I could tell it wasn't your choice to be here."

I could only stare at him. Could this be real?

"I'm sorry to say that you will have to stay for a while though. I hope you'll look at this as a relaxing vacation with no responsibilities. I envy you for that part," he joked, making me smile.

"You should feel free to do as you like while you are here. If there's something you wish to do, you only need ask."

I chewed on my lip, wondering if that were true.

"Is there something?" he asked, smiling.

"Well... I wondered if I might have a sketch book?" Over the last several days, my hands had been itching to draw the things I saw.

"You like to draw?" He seemed interested rather than angered the way my father always had been.

"Yes, Your Highness. But I was never really allowed to, so I wasn't sure..."

He waved the concern away. "If you want to draw, you will draw."

Unable to help it, I beamed.

Seeming pleased that he'd made me happy, he stood. "I must be going now, but I'll see to it that you receive some books and pencils right away."

"Thank you!" I stood with him. "Thank you so much!"

He smiled. "If you need anything else, just ask. You may ask for me personally, if you need to."

I nodded happily.

After he left, I sank back into the chair, unable to believe my good fortune. For the first time in my life, something good happened to me. For the first time, I actually felt hopeful and even lucky. I got to escape my father and I didn't have to do a thing that I didn't want to. I could draw as much as I wanted and my father couldn't stop me or punish me or take my book.

It felt amazing to be so free. Strange, but amazing.