Chapter 16

I moped the rest of the night. Rebecca had been disappointed initially when I came back earlier than expected, knowing that I hadn't done as she asked. But her disappointment soon turned to concern when I refused to tell her more than she could guess.

I didn't want to tell her the real reason I left early. It was embarrassing and I didn't want to worry her. Whatever was going to happen would happen. No sense making someone else anxious over it.

And if it was going to happen, I wanted it to be soon so I could just get it over with. I was tired of being so afraid and uncertain.

But all I told Rebecca was that I hadn't spoken with Mr. Mitchell. I knew she was a little hurt that I wouldn't elaborate, but it really was for the best.

In the morning, she seemed set on acting like nothing was wrong. At least in the sense of her being upset. She brought my breakfast and helped me dress like always. She politely asked how I was and all the other little obligatory things, but she was giving me the cold shoulder. She kept calling me Miss and replied to anything I said formally.

After a while, it was getting on my nerves, but she had a right to be upset with me, so I let her go on taking her frustration out without comment. I'd know if the prince changed his mind about me within a few days. I could explain everything to her then.

Since I managed to alienate Rebecca and since I was afraid of the prince arriving at any moment, my rooms were lonely and a little frightening to stay in all day. It was too cold to go riding now, but I could bundle up and go to the stables to draw. I might not be able to stay very long, but I wasn't sure where else to go to get away. Aside from wandering the halls of the castle, I mean. And that might just result in me running into the prince.

Unfortunately once I was in the stables, there was far too much on my mind to focus enough to draw anything. I started a few times, but mostly I sat with the horses and thought until I felt too cold to stay any longer.

I returned to the castle, shivering and hugging my cloak closed as I hurried through the halls, eager to get back to the warmth of my fireplace. Once again, I was recklessly darting around corners and I very nearly crashed into the same redhead as before.

"We have to stop meeting this way," the elder Keira joked as she stepped back a bit to avoid a collision.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I wasn't paying attention."

"An unforgivable offense," she teased. Then sensing my mood she asked, "are you alright?"

Forcing a smile, I nodded. No sense making her worry either. Only in her case, I guessed she'd be more worried about the effect the prince's decision regarding me might have on her niece's marriage.

I could tell she didn't believe me, but she didn't push. Instead she nodded at my sketch book.

"How's the drawing coming?"

"It's alright," I fibbed. "Some days I can't get things down on paper fast enough. Others..." I shrugged.

She smiled a little. "I'd think all artists have the same problem. So much of yourself goes into your work, you have to wait until it feels natural. You can't force it."

Glad that she understood, I nodded. In the next second I noticed how different she looked from the last time I'd seen her. She mentioned that she was going to have a baby, but you couldn't tell a thing by looking at her then. Now, even with the clothes she wore that hid it more than a dress might, she was very obviously expecting.

"How are you feeling?" I asked, feeling pretty shocked myself. It hadn't been that long since I'd seen her last.

She chuckled at my expression. "I'm doing alright. I'll be glad when this one's born." She patted her considerable bump. "I'm so restricted when I'm carrying them. The twins were the worst. I was absolutely huge!"