Chapter 11

By the time the next required event came around, I could tell that the prince's fiance was no longer ignorant about my purpose here. She didn't approach me or say anything, but the knowledge was in her eyes. And I thought it was pretty amazing that I didn't see burning hatred there. Just awareness. Maybe she remembered what I told her and decided to believe me.

As embarrassing as it felt to learn that she knew, I was a little relieved too. I wouldn't have to worry about her finding out any longer. And if we did ever cross paths again, she wouldn't wonder about why I was so uncomfortable around her.

My days passed in the same pattern. Unless the king wanted everyone at some gathering, I would eat alone in my parlor, I'd go back and forth to the stables to draw, and I'd talk to Rebecca when she was in my room. That was it. It was pleasant enough but pretty uneventful, so I decided to start doing other things. I intended to ask Alma about riding lessons the next time I saw her, but today I decided to brave the halls of the castle to go exploring. People would still watch me, but at least the prince's fiance should be occupied.

The only paths I was familiar with in the castle were the ones to the gardens or stables, or the ones that led to the few rooms I'd been taken to for events. The castle was enormous however, so I spent a good deal of time not really knowing where I was, and had to be redirected by the guards quite a few times. Eventually, I found myself outside a large library. Mesmerized by all the leather bound volumes, I moved closer to touch them. There must be hundreds. Hundreds of thousands of books containing all sorts of stories that I would never get to read.

I was just about to take one out to look at it when a voice startled me from behind.

"Hello."

Feeling as if I'd been caught doing something wrong, I snatched my hand back and turned to face the man who stood a few feet away. I was surprised to see that he was one of the guards. Some of the guards had spoken to me, but they mostly just answered when I spoke to them first. One had never approached me for no apparent reason or stood and waited for me to converse with him the way this man was.

"Hello," I answered, noticing for the first time that no one else was around. I'd become so accustomed to guards being everywhere, seeing them was completely unremarkable now. I hadn't even thought to check whether any were nearby when I found this room. Had this man been stationed here when I arrived, or was he just passing by?

"In the mood for a good book?" he teased, knowing full well that I couldn't read. Something felt a little off about his smile, but I didn't want to be rude.

"Oh um, no," I said. "I was just curious."

"Nothing wrong with a little curiosity," he said, moving closer and watching me with obvious interest.

What was he doing? I wasn't exactly privy to the rules, but a guard flirting with the prince's mistress couldn't be allowed. It was also making me very uncomfortable.

I forced a smile and stepped back to restore the distance. "Of course, but I should probably-" I tried to escape.

"I'm a bit curious myself," he cut me off. "There are rumors, you know."

"Rumors?" I couldn't help asking.

"About how the prince has, er, neglected you," he said, taking a few more steps in my direction. "You shouldn't have to be so lonely."

I tried to move away again, but my back hit the book shelf and there was nowhere else to go. If I tried to go to either side, he would be able to catch me easily before I took two steps. And something told me he would stop me.