Chapter 6: Melody

Shuichi Saihara's P.O.V

I went out of Kaede's dorm room and looked for her. It was around two hours before the announcement would come on, so I still had time. I checked the warehouse, the library, everywhere we were allowed at this time. I was getting more and more worried. Did something happen to her? Did someone...? No, I can't be thinking about that! I then recalled a place I haven't checked. I went to Kaede's Ultimate Lab. I checked everywhere else, so I might as well try looking there.

Kaede Akamatsu's P.O.V

I woke up before the announcement like me and Shuichi agreed on. I quickly got dressed and rushed to his dorm. I knocked lightly on the door to not make a lot of noise. He didn't respond. I tried once more, but still no response. I came to the conclusion that he probably was still asleep. Maybe I could play the piano in my lab while I wait. It could relive any extra stress I have and motivate me.

Yeah, I'll go do that.

I arrived at my lab a few moments later. The piano was in mint condition, and it looked almost exactly like the piano I had at my house. There were a few chairs on the side, and there were shelves brimming with music sheets. I sat down in front of the piano and played whatever came to mind.

I played compositions from Beethoven, Motzart, Chopin, Debussy, and many others. I was just lost in the notes and music, making me lose track of time. All of the worries I had before just melted away. This was one of the reasons why I loved the piano so much. It takes away all the worries that you may have in the world, and it's so relaxing and satisfying to hit all the right notes at the right time. All the notes on a piano have the potential to create a beautiful melody and the potential to brighten someone's day. I continued to play until I noticed Shuichi.

Shuichi Saihara's P.O.V

As I got closer to her lab, I heard the piano being played. It sounded flawless, every note being hit with correct timing. Kaede was most likely in there. My assumption was correct, as I opened the door to find her playing the piano. She looked very content and relaxed as if she didn't have to worry about anything. I probably looked like a creep, but I just stood there as she played. I didn't want to interrupt her, especially with how happy she seemed. Eventually, she noticed me and stopped.

"How long have you been in here for?" She looked slightly embarrassed as she asked me.

"Um...I think around 10 minutes."

Awkward silence broke on us two.

"...How long have you been playing the piano for?" I inquired, trying to get rid of the awkwardness.

"Probably ever since I was five. I loved to play it every chance I got when I was younger. Not that different from how I am today actually. While everyone else was doing normal stuff for their age, I just kept to myself, practicing compositions for contests. People nicknamed me Piano Freak for it." Kaede looked slightly bothered by something, but I don't think it's right to ask about it now.

"Well, since I told you something about me, it's your turn! Hmmm...Oh! Why do you always think that you don't deserve to be an Ultimate? If the Ultimate Initiative chose you as the Ultimate Detective, there's no doubt you have talent!"

Now that I think about it, I still haven't told her. "Because I'm not a real detective. I shouldn't have been picked as the Ultimate Detective."

Kaede looked at me with concern for a brief moment.

"Saihara, why do you think that? Why are you so harsh on yourself?"

I looked down, avoiding eye contact with Kaede. "...I never really wanted to become a detective. My uncle is in charge of a detective business, and I would help sometimes as an apprentice. I usually just did cases around cheating couples, background checks, and missing pets. I came across a murder case one day and solved it before the police and other detectives could. That's when the Ultimate Initiative took interest in me, even though I only solved that one case."

I looked up and saw a clock on the wall in front of me. It was 7:15 a.m. We only had 45 minutes before morning announcements!

"Akamatsu, we need to get the cameras. Morning announcements will come on soon, so we need to hurry!" Kaede briefly nodded as a response, and we quickly headed to the warehouse.

When we arrived, I saw...shot put balls in a wooden box nearby. I need to keep a very close eye on Kaede from here on out. I can't let this happen all over again. I just can't.

"Akamatsu, could you come with me to look for the cameras?"

"Sure!"

We looked for the cameras, and we eventually found them, along with a few other important things. They were disposal cameras and would make a flash when taking a picture. Luckily, Miu Iruma, The Ultimate Inventor, exists. Miu could modify the cameras to our needs. I told Kaede about this idea, and we went to Miu.

With a bit of begging and Miu making a few lewd comments, we got her to modify the cameras.

Everything was going well so far.

I knew I wanted to do a few more things as well:

1. Talk to Rantaro more. If I talked to him, he could have someone to trust about his secrets, and I could uncover the mystery behind him, which could help lower the chances of history repeating itself.

2. Talk to Kokichi more. I always knew that despite his childish behavior, he always knows a lot more than what he's letting on. He could also help uncover the truth behind Tsumugi a lot faster, so befriending him might be a good idea or a bad idea.

With these things in mind, Kaede and I left the cameras with Miu and went to our rooms.

Special thanks to SaimatsuOrKaechi for always voting on my chapters! I really appreciate you for doing this, so here's my thanks!

Also, be sure to stay safe everyone!