Chapter 20: The Investigation

Kaede Akamatsu's P.O.V

His body was replaced with a pool of blood. How could someone manage to move his corpse with such little time?! I ran here and saw the body. I went back to get the others, which took about three minutes. Then, to run back, it took about two. So how in the world can someone move his corpse in five minutes? These questions surrounded my mind until the monitor echoed a certain nuisance's voice.

"A body has been discovered!  Now then, after a certain amount of time, the class trial will begin. Please head to the library A-S-A-P."

The monitor shut off, creating a sense of dread in the air.

"What The Hell!?" Kaito exclaimed.

I turned around to look at my remaining friends. Rantaro and Kaito were in complete shock and disbelief while Maki, Kokichi, and Himiko didn't show any expressions.

After a few minutes had passed, everyone had shown up.

"What the fuck!? What kind of sick joke is this!? Where's the damn body?" Miu cursed.

Everyone else probably had a similar thought judging by the look on their faces. Soon after, the black and white bear popped in.

"Well, I decided to make an exception! Since the murder got rid of the corpse, there's no way three or more people can discover this particular body. But, I'm sure miss Kayayday can help with that issue."

Everyone instantly turned their heads to my direction, which made me increasingly uncomfortable.

"I-I discovered his body first, so I think I can help describe his corpse." I murmured.

"Wait, wait, wait! There's no need for that nonsense! We can finish this up real quick thanks to the First Blood Perk!" Monokuma interrupted. "If you are the blackened, go ahead and raise your hand!"

It stayed silent, and no one made any movement.

"Let's try this again. Who. Is. The. Blackened?"

"It had to have been a degenerate male! Crimes like these are always committed by violent, disgusting men!" Tenko commented.

"How do you even know it was a boy?" Kokichi questioned.

"I just know, okay!?"

"Tch...Who the hell did it!? I'll punch you into orbit!" Kaito threatened.

"Puhuhu... don't get so angry. You should be happy for your graduating peer."

The monokubs showed up shortly after. They also repeatedly asked the blackened to raise their hand, but nobody did.

"...I see how it is. They don't need the perk and would prefer to do a class trial instead. Very well then," Monokuma stated.

"W-Wait, what's going to happen then?" Tsumugi inquired.

"As I said, we will hold a class trial to find Shuichi Saihara's killer! If the majority of you guess wrong, you all will be punished! But, if you guess right, only the blackened in question will be punished. Exhilarating, isn't it!?"

I was sick to my stomach. How could someone be this twisted to find enjoyment in others' suffering? My mind just couldn't grasp such a thing.

"Of course, we can't just throw you all into a trial without investigating the murder first. You need some evidence and ideas, which you can only get from investigating the crime scene," Monokuma continued. "This will be very entertaining with the corpse missing. How will you all manage to get through this dilemma? Anyway, the class trial will begin soon, so let the investigation begin!"

With those parting words, he left along with the monokubs.

Everyone separated. Some went in groups while others went alone. I stayed where I was, trying to process the information. I then recalled a certain scene. It was when I was about to plant the shot put ball before Shuichi shoved me out of the way. I dropped the ball, but I didn't remember where it fell.

What if that ball was the cause of his death? What if I was the one that killed him?

From how he was positioned, it could have been possible. It's a stretch, but definitely feasible. If that was the case, the only thing I could do now is trying to expose the mastermind in this class trial. It would be the least I could do to repay my crimes. I moved from my position to participate in the investigation with these thoughts in my head.

.

.

.

??? P.O.V

.

.

.

A few hours later

I woke up in a darkened room. I tried to feel my surroundings, but I couldn't move anything. After a few moments, my eyes adjusted to the darkness, and I was able to see a few things. First off, I saw my hands tied up in front of me. Then, I noticed a shot put ball in a table nearby, and next to it were bloodied glasses.

Was I in the mastermind's room?

I tried to recall the events in my mind. The last thing I remembered was feeling immense pain in my head and fainting. If I'm correct, I was struck in the head by a shot put ball. How did I not die then? If Rantaro, who was a bit stronger than me, had died from the ball, then how in hell would I be able to survive it!?

Well, let me gather up my thoughts.

She must have tried to kill me. She failed since I'm alive. I'm guessing she realized that I was alive and brought me here. She tried to clean up as much evidence as she could and try to blame it on someone else.

I wonder if an investigation, or even worse, a class trial, has started. Either way, I need to get out of here as soon as possible. Luckily, I found scissors nearby. I used my mouth to pick it up and dropped the scissors in my lap. Well, desperate times call for desperate measures. I fumbled around with the scissors for a bit before I managed to cut the rope and break free. I then cut away the rope binding my legs, and with that I was free.

After all that, I tried to gather up as much evidence as I could. I carefully grabbed the bloodied glasses and shot put ball. I also tried to find conclusive evidence that Tsumugi was the one who caused all of this. Once I did, I found the secret passageway door and left. If there's even a god out there, I pray that I'll make it in time.