Chapter 12: A Dream

Shuichi Saihara's P.O.V

"This day was fun Saihara! I hope we all can do this more often," Kaede gushed.

"Yeah, I had fun as well, Akamatsu." I gave her a small smile.

We had finished training, so we all gave our goodbyes. Kaede and I were the only ones left. We were sitting outside and looking at the stars. We're alone. Together. I think my face is flushing.

aaahhh-

"Hey Saihara?"

"H-Huh?"

"Do you remember when I said if we could talk about something?"

I nodded in response. I did remember.

"Well, um, what exactly caused your panic attack to happen? I think I already know, but I wanted to make sure with you." Kaede looked genuinely concerned about it.

Come to think of it, I never said what caused it to happen.

"Well, as you know, Kokichi was angry with me. He thought I was really suspicious, and claimed me to be the mastermind. He made direct eye contact with me, and it triggered...those memories. His eyes looked just as hateful as the one's from the murderer of that case. I-I felt terrible. E-Everything was blurring, and it was getting harder to breath. It felt like I was being watched in every direction. I-It was terrifying, Akamatsu-" My voice was starting to break when she interrupted me by pulling me into a hug.

I felt tears run down my cheeks. Was I tearing up? I didn't realize...

"Saihara, you're okay now. You aren't in that situation anymore. No one's going to hurt you or anyone else. I'm here for you, I promise."

I wrapped my arms around her and buried my head into her shoulder. I felt relieved in a way. I didn't realize how much stress was built up in me until that moment. We stayed like that for a bit before letting go. I didn't want to let go, but I still did.

"Akamatsu, thank you. I know I say it a lot, but I mean it everytime."

I thought I saw a hint of blush on her face, but it was dark so I couldn't really tell. "It's not a problem at all Saihara."

We then sat once again in silence, but we were slightly closer this time.

"You know Saihara, I'm really glad you trust me. I hope we can continue to have this friendship when we get out of here!" Kaede exclaimed with a bright smile.

Friendship? She only sees me like that? I mean, I should be happy that she considers me a friend, but I can't help but feel slightly disappointed. What am I doing?! I shouldn't be thinking about this right now. Kaede probably thinks I'm ignoring her. She probably thinks I'm-

"Saihara? Um, do you have *******?"

Do I have what? I gave her a confused look.

"Oh, uhh, nevermind..."

A little bit after that response, she opened her mouth as if to say something else, but quickly closed it after. I wanted to ask what she wanted to say, but I didn't want to seem pushy.

"It's getting late Akamatsu. We should start heading back," I reminded.

"Mhm."

I took Kaede to her dorm and we told each other goodnight. I went to my dorm and briefly went over what we will do tommorow.

First, I'll meet up with Kaede and Rantaro.

Second, we'll finish setting up the cameras as we were interrupted by Rantaro.

Third, we'll continue to talk about the Survivor perk as it is very important information.

As I finished planning it out in my head, I went to sleep.

.

.

.

I wake up in a dark void. It was the same one that I was in before. I then started to fall. Deeper, deeper, deeper...
I couldn't grasp anything. I then hit something. It was a floor stained with blood. That blood trailed to Rantaro's corpse. The blood was still fresh, and it flowed out of Rantaro's head. I stood there, paralyzed in fear.

No, NO! Stop it! Please stop! I clutched my head, trying to shake off what I had seen.

Suddenly, out of my own will, I started to walk forward, past Rantaro's corpse.

One by one, I saw everyone's corpse.

Ryoma's blood stained skeleton.

Kirumi's beaten up body.

Angie and Tenko bleeding to death from their wounds.

Korekiyo's red, blistered, corpse.

Miu's suffocated body and terrified eyes.

Gonta's swelled up, burnt remains.

Kokichi's crushed, disfigured, disformed remains of a body.

Kaito surrounded by a pool of his own blood, trickling from his mouth.

Keebo's remains of a human-like body.

Tsumugi's blood spreading from underneath a rock.

Each and every one of their last moments filled with sadness, regret, and despair.

There was one corpse I didn't see, and one I don't want to see.

Sadly, we can't all get what we want.

I turned around and saw her. Her suffocated and hanged body. It turned into a bloody mess soon after I saw it.

I didn't know how to feel.

I felt...
Alone.
Damaged.
Anger.
Sadness.
Hopeless.

We're all going to die. No matter what. No one cares in the end. It's only our survival that matters.

.

.

.

My eyes open up to the sound of the morning announcement. It was all a dream. Thank goodness.

I got ready and headed outside. Kaede was there waiting.

"Good morning Saihara!"

"...Good morning Akamatsu."

I wanted to tell her about the dream, but I decided not to in the end. She's already done so much for me, I don't want to become any more of a burden to her.

Fun fact: I had to research "what do boiled alive bodies look like" for an hour and I'm now tramatized. 10/10 do not do. Ever.

Also, I'm sorry I uploaded a bit later than usual. All I will say is that life happens sometimes, y'know?

Also, thank you to all the people who voted for mostly or all of my chapters. It puts a smile on my face to see you all enjoying the story. Same goes for the comments! Most of them make me laugh out loud and it makes my day a little bit better. You know who you are, and I just want you to know that I appreciate you so much <3. -Qwerti

And last but not least, I joined the bagwagon of creating Saimatsu oneshots. I felt like we need more completed and cute Saimatsu stuff. I mean, compared to Omasai and the like. So if any of you are interested, check it out! (Not forcing you tho)