Chapter 17: The Final Day

Shuichi Saihara's P.O.V

I opened my eyes to the sound of the morning announcement. It took me a few moments to realize that today is the final day. I would either fail, or I would manage to save everyone. I felt my heart beating faster than usual. I got ready for the day and was about to head out until I came across a certain item. It was the cap I wore every day up to this point. I thought about it for a few moments, but in the end, I decided to not wear it. In case if the worst happened, at least Kaede would see me without my hat like she had wanted last time.

As I was heading to the door, the doorbell rang. I opened it, expecting Kaede to be on the other side. Instead, it was Kokichi.

"Hey. So, if you don't mind, I need to talk to you about something. I prefer if you came along with me right now, but if you have something else you need to take care of then that's fine." He had a blank expression on his face as he requested that.

At this point, I figured that if he doesn't have any facial expressions he's being genuinely serious about the topic in question. It still catches me off guard, but I'm glad that I'll at least be able to tell if he's being genuine.

"Sure."

I followed Kokichi into a secluded area near the dorms. Once we arrived, he turned to face me.

"Okay, since you being from the future is still a secret, I decided that we would talk about it in an area where I don't think anyone would pass by. Anyway, I'll get straight to the point. Who is the mastermind?"

I was slightly surprised by his forwardness, but I still answered his question.

"It's Tsumugi Shirogane. She orchestrated this killing game and she was also the one that started it. As you know, today's the final day. Either someone else kills or we all die. I-."

I stopped mid-sentence.

Should I tell him about this? Well, why not? He already knows, and I'm guessing he does want to end the killing game. His angry reaction about me supposedly not doing anything to stop it is evidence of that along with Kaito saying Kokichi did, in fact, want to end the twisted game. Also, there is something that he would be able to cover in the plan.

"I don't have all day. What were you going to say?" Kokichi had his hands behind his head, which were paired with an unamused expression.

I decided to tell him the outline of the plan.

"...and we will be executing this plan today. In fact, there is something that I would need someone to do in the plan. I need that person to prevent everyone else from going down into the basement floor. I was wondering if you could do it?" I asked the checker scarfed boy.

He took a moment to think about it, then simply nodded as a response.

"Sure. Anyway, Shuimai, pretend I never acted serious or something like that. I don't need them to start thinking I can actually care about stuff. Lastly, I'm sorry about that incident. Toodles."

Kokichi walked off abruptly with his usual demeanor showing once again.

*Sigh*  Well, at least he agreed.

.
.
.

I slowly opened the door to the dining hall to see multiple pairs of eyes staring at me. I quickly scanned the room and saw that everyone was there.

"What happened to your hat, sidekick?" Kaito asked, breaking the silence.

"U-Um well, I just forgot to wear it today..," I muttered.

I was getting a bit anxious with everyone staring at me. I tried to avoid contact by looking down. I didn't want ...that to happen again, especially in front of everyone.

I think Kaede noticed this as she proceeded to change the topic about something else. Luckily, everyone turned their heads and from there it was peaceful once again.

.
.
.

Everyone except for Maki, Kaito, and Kaede left the dining hall as soon as they finished eating. I was sitting next to Kaede while in front of me sat Kaito and Maki.

"So Saihara, why did you take off your hat?" Kaede questioned.

"Well, I guess I didn't really feel like wearing it today."

"Or maybe you just wanted to impress a certain someone," Maki added.

I felt my face starting to heat up and shook my head immediately.

"N-No of course not!"

Kaede and Kaito giggled at my flustered actions.

"Well, in any case, I think you look really handsome without it on."

Kaede turned to me with a genuine smile on her face. If I didn't have a flushed face before, I definitely would have had one now after that compliment.

"Thank you, Akamatsu."

It stayed silent for a few moments before I decided to speak again.

"Well, since the time limit will be up by nighttime, we only have around 13 hours until then. I would also like to mention that Oma is now involved in the plan as well. He'll be distrac- er well monitoring everyone else not involved in the plan."

Kaito and Maki had a face of concern about why I would choose him out of everyone else, but I quickly explained why.

"I chose him because he found out about the plan, and he wanted to help," I fibbed.

I obviously couldn't tell them the real reason, not yet anyway.

.

.

.

A few more hours had passed, and it was time to put the plan into action. We had four hours left. We had already informed Rantaro and Himiko about Kokichi by then, so we got into our positions. Maki and Himiko were guarding the girls' restroom, Rantaro and Kaito were watching the library, Kokichi monitoring the hallway that leads to the basement, and finally, Kaede and I were in the classroom.

Now we wait, for better or for worse.

Hello! I wanted to make this chapter have a lot more action, but I feel like I would need another chapter for that since this chapter focuses on how Kokichi is included. I will say that I am very excited to write the next few chapters though. Hopefully, you all can handle the wait!