Chapter 3

She closes her eyes as her handmaidens apply her makeup to her face. In a few moments, she has to meet with her adversary and she wants to look her best. She has to make sure that he knows what he left behind.

He should be forced to look into the eyes of the woman he broke.

"We're finished." One of the handmaidens says. Padmé opens her eyes, startled by the image in the mirror. Is that really her?

Her hair is pulled back to almost look like horns on the top of her head. At first, she's curious how they managed to pin her hair back so effortlessly, but then she sees her gray roots. How hasn't she noticed it before? She really is getting old, whether she wants to or not.

Instead of focusing on the dark eye shadow coating her eyelids, she spots the wrinkles growing around the corners of her eyes. She looks at her lips, a dagger sent through her heart. They've painted her lips in deep red, the pattern an identical match to how she used to wear it as the queen of Naboo.

They've taken dark blush and ran it down the side of her cheeks, emphasizing her high cheekbones. She thinks that it just draws attention to how much weight she's lost over the years. Her cheeks look sunken. She almost looks like a shell of her former self.

War really does change people.

She rises from her seat, her black dress streaming around her feet. There's a red lace around the collar that quickly grabs everyone's attention. Surprisingly, it's not itchy. She studies the rest of the outfit, admiring the dark colors. Then she sees it. Sewed over her heart is the bold symbol of the rebellion.

Her new look reminds her of the dragons in the stories she used to tell the twins before bed. She has dark eyes, a long face, and fascinating horns on her head. She smirks, running her fingers over the rebellion symbol. This look is different than she's used to. All of her life, she's been put into white, frilly dresses. She was supposed to have a look of innocence and pureness back then.

Now, she looks like a sinister widow who wants revenge for what's been done to her. She's no longer in hiding. She is no longer afraid of the machine that has killed her husband. She is going to stand up against him for the children he abandoned when he took Palpatine's side. She is going to avenge her husband's death with a hard blow to the Empire's number one superstar.

But this isn't just about the pain she's suffered. She is going to do whatever it takes to free her people from the grasp of the Empire. Millions around the galaxy are starving and dying. Life as they knew it has changed drastically over the past decade. And anyone who dares to speak out against their dementors has been tortured by the shadow that goes by the name Darth Vader.

She is tired of hearing their cries. She is sick of him thinking that he can get away with killing her people without paying the price. She is going to put an end to Darth Vader, Darth Sideous, and the Empire.

She is going to come out victorious.

No matter what it takes.

She turns away from the mirror, her determination bringing smiles to her handmaidens' lips. This is their leader. This is the woman who will make the Empire pay for the misery it brought to the galaxy. And they are going to stand beside her until the very end.

"I need to see Ben." She declares, her voice strong and clear.

Immediately, one of the handmaidens rushes out of the room. Padmé smiles at the remaining ones, thanking them for the work they've done. She is impressed with their new design. Just as she is about to question who came up with it, Ben enters the room.

She silently motions for her handmaidens to leave. Without another word, the two of them are left alone.

"I like your new look." He says a smile brought to his face. "It's nothing like you've ever worn before."