Chapter 10

Padmé rubs her temples, her eyes pinched shut. She is starting to get a headache from all of this talking. It's not like it isn't important, but they've gone over it almost a hundred times. She has other things to worry about besides the rebellion at the moment.

But instead of throwing them out, she stays quiet. The other rebel leaders are allowed a say, especially in a time like this. Bail Organa is one of the few who are still attending Imperial meetings without any suspicion. He is their eyes and ears about what they plan to do and when. Of course, there's only so much he's told considering he isn't very close with anyone high in command. But they will take what they get.

"Padmé, did we ever find Vega Hinchcliff?" Mon Mothma asks, her voice somehow piercing through Padmé's thoughts.

She lets out a sigh, resting her hands in her lap. "Unfortunately, she was killed by stormtroopers before my men could reach her."

Mon Mothma nods then turns her attention over to Bail, who has taken over this meeting. Padmé has made it evident that she's no longer interested or isn't feeling well. Either way, Mon Mothma agrees with her. It's time for them to take a break. They've been at this for hours with little to no progress.

Bail clears his throat and looks around the room. "I think we should be done for the day." He says. Smiles begin to appear in the room. Everyone is tired from the long hours they've been putting in recently. "I would like to end our meeting on one good note. Leia was able to drop off the supplies in Lothal without any trouble."

"So it worked?" Someone asks. "Our plan of having them 'steal' the supplies is a success?"

"So far." Bail nods. "But we shouldn't perform this too often. I'm afraid that it will become very obvious to the Empire if it starts to happen frequently. We will keep this idea in the works though." He adds a few more things, but everyone has stopped listening. Their thoughts have drifted to food, sleep, and anything not involving the rebellion.

He lets them leave, knowing their attention has long been gone. Gradually, they file out one after the other. Mon Mothma speaks a few words to Padmé then follows the others out the door, leaving Bail and her alone. He sits down beside her, his body gently twisted toward her.

Padmé lets out a long sigh, pulling back her hair with a tired smile. "Something you need to say to me?" She asks.

"Leia isn't quite herself. On our last trip, she was much quieter than usual. She looked ill as well." He begins, trying to find the right words. Though the mission was a success, Leia's mood didn't show it. He is worried that something has happened to make her upset. "I guess I'm wondering if she has brought this up to you. I just want to make sure that she's safe and well." 

"She has not told me this, but I'm sure she's going through a lot of things," Padmé replies. She knows that Leia is doing this because she wants to put the rebellion before herself. She's proud that her daughter understands what's at stake, but she should take some time for herself. The news of her father is not something to be taken lightly or brushed aside.

"I'm worried that it involves her latest mission. I don't want to push her into doing things she's not comfortable with if that's what's bothering her." Bail adds. He feels guilty for making her feel this way. She shouldn't feel like she has to do anything. She is allowed to voice her concerns to him, especially involving diplomatic missions. After the last one involving a shoot out, he wants her to feel safe by choosing the situations she gets into. She doesn't have to risk her life if she doesn't want to. 

Padmé shakes her head and gives a sad smile. "It's not the mission." She softly says, making Bail arch his eyebrow. She reaches out and holds his hand. "I think it's best that you go and talk to her. I'm sure you're one of the few people she will actually be honest with about her feelings."