Chapter 8

Their lightsabers crackle as they make contact. The motions are slow and deliberate, practicing perfect deflections. "Good. That's looking nice, Luke." Obi-Wan says as he walks around the twins. "Adjust your left foot, Leia, and you'll be perfect with that form."

Leia lets out a sigh, following his comment. She wants to be perfect. No, she needs to be perfect. When the time comes, she can't risk making a mistake. He is strong and has been training with a lightsaber much longer than her. Though she's been sharpening her skills, he is much more superior. He will have the upper hand when they finally meet.

Luke narrows his eyes and bites on his lower lip. Though Obi-Wan has told him he's getting better, he doesn't see it. He has been practicing outside of their lessons, but he feels like it has been nothing but a waste of time. He is not at the skill level he should be for when he meets his greatest adversary. If he doesn't improve any time soon, he will be nothing but a burnt child after their battle.

"Emotions," Obi-Wan says, catching their attention for a short second. "Don't let them control you. Work with them, use them to your advantage. Find the peace in the fight to see your opportunity to strike. Giving in to anger will only set you off balance."

The lightsabers buzz as they meet for one last time. Luke and Leia are both panting, their chests heaving up and down. Without speaking, they both turn their lightsabers off and walk to Obi-Wan. "Now what?" Luke asks as he places his hands on his hips. If he was allowed to, he would train all day with Obi-Wan. He wants to learn more about wielding his lightsaber and using the Force to his advantage. He needs to be prepared for his inevitable fight.

"I think we can be finished for now. You've been working really hard today." Obi-Wan says. He tucks his arms into his robes, somehow looking more relaxed than expected. It's almost as if now that the secret has been revealed that he feels better.

"No, please. Can you at least teach us one more thing for the day? I'm not quite ready to be done." Luke insists. He doesn't want to go off with his friends or hide in his room. His friends seem too carefree compared to what he's going through. He knows that he should allow himself some time to be a kid like them, but he can't do it right now. He needs to work out his own emotions involving his father before playing around.

Obi-Wan gives a soft chuckle. He won't say it aloud after the past few days, but Luke sounds just like his father right now. Always wanting to learn more, never wanting to stop. "What would you like to learn to finish off our lesson?"

Luke runs his hands through his hair, thinking. "You mentioned that our thoughts betrayed us at the table. What did you mean by that? And can we do something so that won't happen?"

"When you get older, you will be able to detect more with the Force. You and Leia already have a taste of what the Force can give you when you open yourselves up to it. You two know certain tremors in the Force and can sense other people's emotions. I've been working with it a lot longer and can use the Force to know what people are thinking about. I don't use it often because the results can be disastrous, but that night you two were as easy to read as a book."

"So what can we do? How do we prevent someone like Vader from reading our thoughts?" Leia asks as she tucks her loose strands of hair into her buns. She had been curious about this topic when it first occurred but forgot about it when things came crumbling down. She's thankful that Luke remembered and brought it up.

"Thankfully, you two are already acquainted with the Force. You have an idea of how it works. This should be fairly easy for you two to learn. The best way to keep someone from reading your thoughts is to completely block it out or think of something else. A few masters I knew used to clear their minds, but I was never good at that." Obi-Wan softly chuckles to himself, remembering the few times he had to protect the information in his head from others.