You're Not Here To Olge

“Hit their foreheads! That’s their weakness!” Gon shouted as he took down the massive bore in front of him.

Taking his advice I quickly killed my own before hauling its massive body onto my shoulders.

Looking around I spotted Hisoka carrying the gigantic pig in one hand, holding it over his head as he strutted to the cooking grounds.

He caught my eyes and seemed to think before smirking and carrying on. 

We were now on our second exam.

Hisoka and I haven’t said a word to each other.

Kurapika had asked me why I was walking with him but I simply shrugged and waved him off.

Hisoka was odd, one minute he seemed interested in conversing, and then the next he was walking off to do his own thing.

Though, he always put on a show so I guess I can’t be that mad about it.

Always showing off his impeccable arms and careless attitude. 

Shut up (Y/N). You’re not here to ogle him!’

Ignoring myself I made my way to the cooking grounds.

We had to make a meal suitable for our examiners.

One examiner was named Menchi. Menchi was a slender woman, with long tan legs shown off by short frayed jean shorts. She wore a see-through crop top and a black bra. But what I found interesting was her seafoam hair that was pulled up by five hair barrettes. It made her hair stick off her head like poles. Her personality seemed pretty abrasive too. 

Who makes a Hunter exam based on biased criteria? How should I know what she likes?’

I grumbled and threw the pig onto the bar above the fire.

I used a knife provided by the cooking station to cut off a small piece for Menchi. Taking out a pan from one of the cabinets I threw the meat in it and started the stove. Turning back to the pig I turned it over.

Taking an onion that was stationed in a bowl to my left I cut it in half and then cut one of the halves into tiny little pieces, throwing them in with the browning meat. 

The other examiner was named Buhara. He was a big guy, probably five times the size of Menchi. He seemed pretty laid back, unlike his partner. 

“Fail!” Menchi screamed, her nose curled in disgust. 

Yeah, this isn’t going to be easy.’ I cringed at the thought.

Buhara was digging into the pig with gusto. 

Giving him the pig should be fine, which means I only have to worry about Menchi.’

Going back to my work I turned the pig again before mixing the meat in the pan.

Turning the burner down to a simmer I cut up some potato and carrots before adding them to the mix. 

This should be good right?’

Frowning, I looked around at the other contestants.

All of them were just roasting the pig. Menchi’s voice was like a broken record, fail, fail, fail! 

“That smells really good! Where did you learn to cook?” Gon came sniffing around.

I looked back to the meal and began scooping it onto a plate. 

“I had to learn when I started living alone.”

I bit my lip. 

“Are you okay?” Gon asked softly, tugging on my pant leg.

Forcing a smile I looked down at him. 

“I’m fine. Just thinking about when I first started cooking, you wouldn’t believe the failure rate!” Lying through my teeth I picked up the roasted pig and the plate.

Bringing it up I slammed the pig down in front of Buhara. Menchi glanced at it and growled. 

“You are the last contestant. If this is all you’ve got then you fail!” She screeched and I flinched at the decimal of it. 

“Does that mean nobody passed? Come on! Why do we even need to know this to be Hunters!” Someone from the crowd bellowed and there was a murmur of agreement.

Internally scoffing, I forced a polite smile. 

“Well then it’s a good thing that’s not all I’ve got.” I ground out and handed her the plate.

She blinked at it before eyeing it suspiciously. Then she took a bite. Humming she took another. 

“It’s not bad. Obviously you still need a lot of work but this is edible. You pass.”

I blinked at her as she took another bite.

My stomach grumbled and I remembered I stumbled into these exams because I was hungry.

At some point, I must have gotten used to the hunger.

She smirked and handed me the plate. I took it and practically scarfed it down. 

“Listen up losers! She’s the only one that passed!” There was silence before outraged yells rang out.

Deciding it best to sneak away I worked my way from them and to the back of the crowd.

Shoveling food into my mouth I looked up to see Hisoka a few feet away.

He was holding a card and glaring at Menchi, a menacing aura taking over.

Shuffling to him I plucked the card from him.

He turned to me, an enraged glare piercing through me.

Clearing my throat I offered the plate to him. He blinked, seeming momentarily stunned. Taking the plate he took a bite. 

“I see why you passed.” He hummed and took another bite, the menacing aura fading. 

“If you killed her you would’ve failed.” He glanced at me and scowled briefly before stuffing his face again. 

“Perhaps~ But it would be oh so satisfying~” He drawled, plucking the card from my fingers.

It seemed to disappear in his hand. Then he handed the plate back and I took it, eating the rest. 

“You think I could kill her? You sure think highly of me~” There was a teasing glint to his eyes, a light coating in his voice.

It made my cheeks redden and I struggled to shove it down.

A loud crash saved me from formulating a response.

Turning an old man stood in the middle of a tiny crater in between Menchi and the crowd. They were discussing something before the man turned to us.

His hair was white with age, a top knot and a beard the only hair left. Wrinkles lined his face. His eyebrows much longer than they should be and his earlobes hanging heavily and enlarged. He was wearing a blue-tinted shirt with large sleeves that hang off his limbs and big puffy pants. 

“My name is Netero. I am the chairman of the Hunter Association. Menchi has agreed to a new exam!”

Everyone cheered and praised Netero.

I turned to give Hisoka a smirk but he was gone.