Chapter 22 - First Day is a Day to Screw Up

Cold...

Ink woke up, earlier than expected. The almost thin sheets doing nothing against the cold blow from the outside. The lamp above them was still snuff out. He turned to his other side to face Lust sitting up and brandishing a dagger. Ink didn't speak for a while. He was confuse of why the other was up this early and sharpening a dagger no less. He decided to stop being a creep and speak.

"You're early."

The other tensed and Ink was giving a visible confusion. Lust forcefully relaxed himself as he hid the knife rather frantically. Ink was getting a wrong feeling but he pushed it down. Lust looked at him and he could see caution in them.

"I couldn't sleep." Lust replied.

Ink only blinked and no sooner, he could hear a shrill whistle. Then a command for them to be by the platform no more than twenty minutes.

He didn't waste any time packing away his things and getting his mattress straight before leaving the area, Lust was following behind him and Ink could feel that caution being burned down his back. What's up with him?

He was pulled out his thoughts when he saw the slaves filling in the space of the field. There were other soldiers assisting as what to do. He could see Martial motioning as understandable as possible to line up in six lines with equal numbers. Ink went with the line which was not to less nor already full so he could get the middle. The slaves won't probably understand Martial if he signed using his hands that's why vocal orders were made by Killer. Why use Martial when they could send any of the Generals?

Come to think of it. Killer did proposed this idea but he doubt that he did the preparations himself. He looked like he's not looking forward to this and just wanted to end the battle now but he knew he couldn't. Maybe Killer wasn't usually that tactical that's why Nightmare put Martial as best bet.

Ink looked at the far open where he could see another place built like this but instead of slaves in training, there were soldiers doing a morning routine. They seemed so accustom in the routine and Ink guessed that they were troops guarding a garrison to protect or attack if an enemy passed by a border. That's rough, they basically live here. That was stupid for not building enough building to stuff all of the soldiers in instead of tents. Also, they might be the soldiers who will fought with them. Slaves in the very front of the defense to help lessen the enemies without worrying about the actual numbers and the soldiers will handle the rest.

"Now that your attention is upon me, I would like to introduce myself." Ink decided that it was better if he pay attention and not tune out the General speaking infront by the platform. "I am Second General, Killer and you are tasked to fight a battle for our beloved kingdom."

Just tell them that we're going to dance with Death.

"My fellow General, Seventh, is Martial von Dreemur." Killer introduced the other who was standing straight, hands behind his back, legs together, remaining silent and unmoving. "In this very place, we are your Masters. We will create the rules. You are our men. You will obey our law."

Ink restrained himself to rolling his eye lights. Killer was just making himself look cool.

"Whipping, kicking, punching and all other kinds of physical punishments are greatly discouraged. That was settled by Seventh." Killer gave the boy a look who only gave a smile in return. "Instead, as punishment; you will not be allowed to join our meal. The only wounds you will be getting are from our training and battle."