King's Love

Sapphire is happily humming as she plays with her feet while the maids are combing her silver hair.

"You seem so happy, princess." The maid said.

"Yes. Today is father's birthday. I am happy to celebrate his birthday. I love Father a lot. Many many much." Sapphire said.

The maids pat her head with a smile.

"I am sure the King loves you a lot too. Didn't he send you a gift last night?"

"Yes.." Sapphire sadly stops moving. "But he is so busy that he didn't have time to attend to my party. I hope he will always be safe and healthy."

All the maids smiles happily.
"You are so kind, princess."

"Ehehe. Its only fair cause Father is also good to me."

Everyone nods.

.
.
.
.

The soldiers wake up early.

Some are sleeping on the ground,under the tree or just slump on the ground.

"Wake up, everyone. I prepared a hangover soup so drink some before you all go home and freshen up. Today is the King's birthday." Emerald sighs.

The soldier thanks Emerald and the sulky maids before they all shyly left after drinking her soup.

Of course, Ansley and Coby are not the same. They half way go back to their stations to oversee the palace security yesterday.

After the soldiers all left. The servants and maids went to do their preparation for the King's birthday.

Though the King never visit the South Palace, every year the Concubine Queen will order the servants to beautify the palace and make it presentable.

It is also the only time Concubines can enter the main palace, same as the other princesses.

Emerald wants to help but Yolly stops her.

"Princess, you can't. You will be coming in the main palace today too. You have to take a longer bath with Martha and Jane." She paused and look at the two."She have to be pretty and presentable."

"We always do this every year but all I will be doing is stuck in a side and eat and drink alone. Why bother?"
Emerald sighs.

"Princess, it is different. You are 9 years old. It is the time the King will engage you to one of his vassal. You have to look pretty so he will engage you to someone in higher position. Last year, princess Vanessa turns 9 and she mess up. What happened? She was engage to a Baron's fourth son! A baron's fourth son. There is no way he will be inheriting the baron's title!" Yolly said slightly trembling.

Emerald also remember that. She was just in the corner when Vanessa spilled her glass and dirtied the 9th prince shoes. The King suddenly remember her and appoint her an engagement.
Vanessa is only a year older than Emerald.
That looks in her face is so terrible.
She looks like the King told her to hang herself and die.

Vanessa cried and cried. But there is no mother who comforts her.
Nobody who told her, it will be alright.

Emerald shivers.

'I'll be next.'

She have that thought.
That painful traumatizing memory that haunts her for weeks.

"I understand."
No matter what she does. She was a 'property' of the King.
Emerald closes her eyes as Martha and Jane washes her body with oil and flower scent.

"Princess...I am sure it will be alright." Jane said.
But she is not convincing since her lips is twitching.

Martha is not saying anything so Jane elbow her.