Crushed Dreams-Paranormal prompt

"You can't be here," I say with a trembling voice.

"Please tell me why is a grandmother not allowed to visit her granddaughter?" Grandma Marge says.

"Because you're dead," I say quietly.

"Nonsense, death is only a different state of being. Aren't you going to hug your grandma? Didn't you miss me, Jess?" She says.

At those words, my feet unlock, and I rush into her embrace.

It doesn't matter how she is back from the dead, the important thing is that she is back.

I have missed her so much that I don't notice at first how cold her usually warm hug is.

Before I can break the hug, she violently rips out a strand of my hair.

"Ouch, grandma. What did you do that for?" I ask, taking a step back.

The moment I raise my eyes to look at her, I know that something is wrong.

Her eyes are no longer warm brown, radiating love. On the contrary, they are icy blue, and all I can feel is a coldness coming out of her eyes.

"I am sorry, my child. I am no longer your dear old grandma. I am so much more," she says.

"What do you mean?" I ask in shock.

"When the Necromancer raised me from the dead, he didn't bring back my soul," she answers.

"You mean..." I start to say.

"I mean, I couldn't care less about you. Whether you live or die is not my concern. I came to you because I needed a strand of your hair for the Necromancer to be able to bind me to the world of the living, that's all," she says.

Then she raises her hand, and my body is lifted off the ground like a puppet. Next, she flicks her wrist, and I come crashing into a nearby tree.

It's clear that her powers are still in her body, and that the evil that flows through her veins only made her stronger.

Before I have the chance to do recover from the blow, my grandma is gone. She was gone even before that, but I just couldn't accept the truth.

Tears stream down my face, and I slam my hand into the ground, causing a small earthquake.

"Noooo!!" I scream, making the nearby tree tumble to the ground.