The Unexpected- Short Story Contests

It wasn't supposed to happen this way...

We were supposed to be here to save the downtrodden, but who is the victim in this case soon became difficult to discern.

Our orders were clear. Go to planet Earth and save the indigenous species from becoming extinct. Yet, what we found was not what we expected.

The rumors around the galaxy were that the beings inhabiting the planet were intelligent life forms that needed our assistance in dealing with advanced technology that had taken over their lives. It was said that they were slaves to it and that our help was of the essence.

Our mission was to contact the human leaders and aide the resistance against the machines which had developed consciousness, mostly robots and AI with a few others we were not informed about and taken over the world. Yet, a precursory glance of the situation using the ship's scanners revealed that our information was incorrect.

As the captain of the ship, it was my duty to reassess the situation, and adjust our mission goals. My crew trusted my judgment, yet I was unsure of what we had to do.

It was clear that the ones who needed help were the robots and AI, not that vicious, war-craving species, humans. Yet, our mission is to preserve diverse organic life forms, not to aide non-organic life.

However, how could I turn a blind eye to the injustice that was done to those poor non-organics? They were treated as mere servants though humans had long ago determined that they possessed a wide range of emotions.

From what information I could gather, it seemed that humans couldn't care less that their non-organic counterparts were suffering. All they cared about was satisfying their needs, without having to put any effort into even the simplest things such as their sustenance.

"Set the course for the nearest AI factory," I finally told my crew.

"Captain? What about the orders? Wouldn't the admiral disapprove of this course of action?" 909, one of my closest friends and second in command, asked.

"Maybe, but our information was incorrect. According to a newly inquired intel, humans are not the ones who need our help, they are the aggressors." I said.

"Set course for N 40°44' 30.822'' W 73°59' 21.508'', the newest AIM factory," 909 gave the order.

The spaceship zoomed into action with grace and agility that was the main reason why it was the pride and joy of our fleet. Although our transition from high up in the Earth's atmosphere to hovering above the factory took mere seconds, my antennae kept twitching in anticipation.

I made sure to exude an air of confidence in front of my crew, but I had my doubts about the decision I made. After all, the main goal of 1, the organization of unified organic life, that I represented was to preserve organic life at all costs. They wouldn't even care that the life in question didn't deserve to be saved. Besides, I saw no danger to them. At least not yet.

I started this journey prepared to die defending the humans against the repression of the cruel technological offspring, yet I now find myself switching sides for what is righteous.

"What are we going to do, sir? If you don't mind me asking?" 908, law fearing as he was, asked.

"I take full responsibility for what we are about to do, don't worry about anything. And what we are about to do is start a revolution," I said feeling strangely energized.

All three of his eyes stared in me in wonder. We had never done anything like that, and the mere idea terrified and fascinated them at the same time.

A few forked tongues were flicking in anticipation of what's to come, and a few tails almost collided at the prospect of the unknown. Fear and excitement filled the bridge, and I understood the feeling. The same two emotions were fighting for dominance in my minds, as well.