13

you sat in your usual spot at the big mahogany table, staring diagonally across at mori from your seat, who looked between you and chuuya, an unreadable expression on his face.

"the two of you will be going to an enemy organization's headquarters, to give them a little...threat? shall we say? just to remind them to stay out of mafia business, that is." mori sounded nearly amused, although he nearly always did when you were around. he made you uncomfortable, even now after working for him for a few months. still, every time you spoke with the man, the uneasiness he caused you rose back up again.

i owe him

you remind yourself that he saved you, and has treated you well. and continue to listen to his explanation of the mission.

"you may take the whole organization down, though, if provoked. they either heed our warning, or they do not." mori's smirk grew wider as he spoke, hands clasped together under his chin as he held eye contact with you. i don't believe you'll need a team, it would only put them in harms way unnecessarily."

chuuya and yourself nodded, standing up. "is that all?" you question, and follow chuuya out of the room once mori nods and gestures to the door, giving the two of you his permission to exit.

chuuya has said nothing the entire meeting with mori, and you could sense the irritation wafting off the man as though it were a real stench.

you sucked in a breath, refraining from reaching out to latch onto chuuya's shoulder and stop him in his tracks, and settled on watching the way his trench coat waved behind him as he sped down the corridor, his long strides taking him further and further away from you.

you sighed, and leaned against a wall by a window, watching the sun set in the east through the shiny, clean glass.

why were you feeling this way towards chuuya? the executive drew you in, and you weren't sure why. you wanted to ask him about his mood, and why he was so agitated today.

but you didn't want to impose. it wasn't your place to ask about his business, and you wouldn't.

but you kept thinking of the ginger, and how his confidence seemed to be unending. he was respectful of his colleagues, and seemed to care about them quite a lot. you admired him. his genuineness, and his compassion.

but thinking about the executive did nothing to answer your questions. you needed to ask him. but you didn't want to risk being unable to work with him. what if you asked him all of the questions that were building up in your head, and he thought you were a freak?

but you can't even call yourself a freak. you don't understand the meaning of that word, especially considering you don't even really know what normal is yet.

"what do you like?"

chuuya's questions suddenly ran through your head.

what do i like?

maybe if you figure yourself out, you'll be able to figure out the answers to your own questions.

if you figure yourself out, you'll finally be able to tell chuuya all about yourself, and then maybe you'll feel deserving to ask him all about himself in return.

the idea was so naive, so innocent. but you couldn't help the way the little, inexperienced part of you wanted to know chuuya so purely.