vi. Old Friend

2020

2020

ALICE LEFT JIMIN on her couch that Sunday morning, because she had to go to work and she knew that trying to wake him up would be a waste of time. He would probably just leave after waking up anyways to head to the studio for practice.

She had worked 5 days a week at the nearby nursing home, taking care of the elderly who lived there everyday and needed help eating or going down a flight of stairs. She had originally been hired there because she was volunteering there for the longest time, before she even went to university. Since she was there more often than some of the part-timers there, she was offered the job a year in and she gladly took it. She was in desperate need of any income because of her costly living expenses and her future university tuition.

She was, surprisingly, quite fond of the elderly. She admired them more than people her age because they were wiser, more experienced, and knew how people worked inside and out, just like her. Spending time with the elderly made Alice question how old should she be, considering her mind was alike theirs.

After she checked in, she immediately began making her way to her closest friend in the nursing home, Nari. She was 88 years old, and was one of the first people Alice met when volunteering. She was quite bitter, but her realness was admired from Alice. She always knew what to say and gave the best advice when she needed it. And boy, did she need it at that moment.

Alice explained her situation in detail, about the disappearance of her mother, the eviction notice, and how she's dangerously low on money. She also included Jimin, talking about how she was afraid to tell him everything. Nari was familiar with Jimin, because Alice would often talk about him and because her granddaughter was a huge fan of BTS.

"Why wouldn't you tell him? Just tell him, you idiot," Nari scoffed bitterly, shifting her body slowly on the couch while looking out the window. Her wrinkled eyes were glued to the view of Han River right outside in front of them.

"I can't really tell him," Alice sighed while sitting on the arm of the couch beside the one Nari was perched onto. "I don't want my problems to become his," she stated.

"Why does that matter? Shouldn't he be there for you?" Nari furrowed her eyebrows slightly.

"Not when it comes to financial situations."

"But isn't he rich? Maybe you should be asking him for money," Nari joked, though Alice couldn't really tell if she was joking due to the serious tone she had sported. She just chuckled in response.

"Yeah, he's rich, and yeah, maybe I've stolen a couple bucks from him before when we were teenagers, but I can't do that anymore, Nari," she explained. "I really don't want him to worry about me. He has enough on his plate."

"What, from being an idol?" she laughed loudly and mockingly. "Please. He should be there for you anyways, just like I am to you, hmph."

"Nari, you're being forced to be there for me. I get paid to come here," Alice chuckles lightly, patting her shoulder.

"Yah, don't touch me," Nari waved her hand off of her shoulder, hiding a laugh.