Chapter 18

Elizabeth Paige

We headed to Nathan's grandfather's house. It was his grandmother's birthday today. She didn't like celebrating her birthday lavishly, but she wanted to have her grandsons over for a peaceful dinner. I was a bit nervous but knowing that Victoria would be there comforted me a bit.

We pulled in, as I got a glimpse at the house, my mouth hung as I took in the beautiful sight. This was the Lachlan mansion and it was stunning. Nathan was very excited, surprisingly, I have never seen him so excited. He loves his grandmother more than anyone in the world.

He was also a bit anxious as she was upset because we didn't invite her to the wedding, but in his defense, she is a very smart and suspecting woman. If she saw any indication which suggested that this wedding was for convenience, she would've stopped it. Now even if she finds out she can't do much about it.

We arrived outside the huge mahogany door, unexpectedly, I felt Nathan put his hand around me and pull me to his side swiftly.

"So only Aaron and Landon are aware when it comes to our situation, okay?" Nathan whispered in my ear.

" And Victoria, she also knows, she is my best friend, I tell her everything." I whispered back.

"Why didn't you just lie to her? You know she loves to gossip." Nathan said as he rang the doorbell.

" Because she knows that I can't lie well. Also, if as per our story where a hot guy like you hits on me, I would have made a big deal about it, revealed each and every detail as our affair would've progressed." I rambled.

"Hot guy? Huh?" He teased me.

I turned crimson, as it was the first time I said something like that to his face.

Amusing, how he ignored almost everything I said and just fixated on one thing.

Before I could retort, the door opened, and we were greeted by a beautiful relatively old lady with a radiant smile on her face.

"Hello Elizabeth, such a gorgeous girl, I've been dying to meet you. Please come in." She said as she gave me a warm hug and invited me in.

She completely ignored Nathan which made me feel sorry for him and laugh as I saw him make a sad puppy face unintentionally. He was just so damn cute. I don't think his grandmother would be able to stay mad at him for long.

As I entered the house, I looked around, it was exquisite! We walked to the dining hall where everyone was seated. I could hear Nathan's footsteps as he followed us, whining about being ignored and apologizing for not inviting her to the wedding.

"Happy Birthday, Mrs. Lachlan." I wished her as I hugged Victoria who got up from her seat enthusiastically and almost hopped towards me. She was my complete opposite.

Opinionated, outspoken, and confident but a little slow when it comes to her own problems.

It was sad that Aaron had trapped her in a loveless marriage.

"Thank you dear, and please call me Mary. I hope you'd like the food as well, my husband made his famous blueberry pie." All the brothers cheered and applauded which made me giggle.

It was fascinating to see how these men were so different in their professional life whereas in front of their grandparents they were just boys.

"Wow, That's my favourite pie, who taught you? I asked as I took a seat next to Victoria.

"Well before I settled down with Mary, one of my girlfriends was a chef, so she taught me." Joseph coughed a bit awkwardly before answering.

"Well, then why don't you go back to her?" Mary mocked him as poured herself a glass of wine.