Chapter 19

Elizabeth Paige

Nathan and I entered our room laughing about the eventful family dinner. He told me how he had to apologize to Mary endlessly, till she finally gave in. She gave us all a small candy as we were leaving just like Nathan said she did when he was a kid.

After we freshened up, we lay in bed, talking about our day, I told him how Aaron made me angry and all the things Victoria told me.

"Look at us gossiping about other people, like an old married couple." I giggled as he pulled me towards him so my back was against his chest.

" By the way, why did you start tearing up on our way back from grandpa's house?"

"No, I won't tell you, you'll start laughing." I said in an embarrassed tone.

"I won't Elizabeth, come on, tell me. I promise I won't laugh." He insisted. So I gave in.

"Okay, well I saw a dog walking alone. So I felt bad for him." As soon as I said those words, Nathan's chest rumbled as he let out a hearty laugh.

"God, you are such a baby." He said in between laughs.

"You promised me that you won't laugh!" I whine as I nudge him in his stomach lightly.

"I am sorry but you are too cute." He chuckles, "On a serious note, I don't trust Michael, maybe you should learn self-defense or something." He suggests.

I turn my body around to face him, "Okay, I don't want to brag but once I took the HR self-defense class and the instructor told me I was almost average." I say proudly.

Nathan stares at my face blankly for a few seconds," I am sorry Elizabeth, but what part of that sentence was a brag?" He snickered

"You know what I am going to sleep, you stay awake and laugh all night long." I say in mock anger as I use his bicep as pillow and close my eyes.

A few minutes later, I felt him kiss my hair, "Honestly, I like you a lot. You make me laugh, you make me smile. You are a little crazy and awkward but your smile alone can make my day."

What the hell??? Did I hear that right?

He snuggled his head in my neck, falling asleep, while I laid there wide awake with countless thoughts running through my mind.

I woke up in the morning but the bed was empty. I looked up to see Nathan tying his tie, before putting on his blazer. He looks at me and smiles brightly which brings back all the memories from last night including the confession.

He likes me too?

When this started out I thought I was just a charity case to him, then I realized he is attracted to me physically. But now does he really like me romantically? Is he aware that I was awake when he said those things?

"Oh great, you are up, I have to leave for office. You have your first class today for your masters, I hope you have fun. I'll see you later at the office." He said as walked towards my bed where I probably looked like a zombie.

I just nodded, I literally had no clue what to say after last night.

Should I just act as if I didn't hear anything or should I confront him?

"But if you get too overwhelmed after your first day, you can just take the day off." He said as he kissed my forehead before leaving the room. I didn't reply as I was too lost in my thoughts. To say that I was freaking out was an understatement.

I don't know for how long I just sat in one place thinking but then I looked at the time. I was late for my first day! Taking a quick bath and wearing my usual office clothes as I had to go to the office where I am a part-time worker now. It would be kind of refreshing not seeing Michael in the office.