Chapter 11

Detective Jordan

The plane touches down and man am I glad to finally be on the ground again. Grant grabs his luggage and I get my own once he moves. We get off the plane all stiff from the tiny seats not made for people with long legs.

We enter the airport and head to the pickup zone. I immediately see the FBI agent, she's just... not what I expected... dressed in a black pants that holds her shield on her waist, a tight black shirt and a jacket that says FBI. I honestly don't know what I was expecting her to look like... but it's definitely not like this. Her hazel brown eyes meet my dark brown ones.

Her straight light brown hair touches her shoulders. As we approach her she takes a few steps closer. "Detective Jordan and Grant, I presume?" She holds out her hand.

I shake her hand first. "Yep that's us. It's good to meet you Agent Elizabeth..." I don't know her last name, so I leave the sentence open. She gives me a warm smile.

"Agent Elizabeth Warren." She says after noticing my unfinished sentence.

"Detective Miles Jordan." I repeat clarifying my name. My partner steps closer and shakes her hand as well.

"Detective Travis Grant, nice to meet you." He smiles at her and she motions for us to follow her.

"It's good to have you here, we are beginning to get desperate to catch this guy. The fact that he got so much information in such a little time is very concerning." She walks so fast we practically have to run after her. "Agent Spencer has moved the family to a very remote location."

We get to a car and she gets in the driver seat. Me and Grant look at each other before I yell. "Shotgun!" I quickly get in the passenger seat and buckle my seatbelt, my bag resting on my lap.

"I'm gonna take you to the-" she begins to say but her phone rings and she picks it up. "Elizabeth." I can't hear anything but I see her body tense. "Hold on, let me put you on speaker." She passes me her phone and I put it on speaker. "Can you please repeat that Sarah?"

A lady's voice answers her. "Okay sure. So the place where Dianne worked? Yeah the owner was found stabbed multiple times and his throat sliced open..." I rub my temple as she carries on. "The suspect is indeed Jayden, as he left a message and tore the place apart. But we just don't know what the message means..." she pauses.

"What did the message say?" I ask

"He wrote it in the owner's blood and I quote 'I'm getting closer. Are you?'" I groan and bang my head lightly against the window.

"For fucks sake..." I mutter but everyone hears me.

"Do you know what it means?" Her voice comes over the line again.

"Yeah... I do... he's asking if I'm any closer to catching him..." there's a long silence.

"Oh." Is all she can say back to me.

"Was there anything else at the scene?" Grant steps in and I thank him internally.

"I'm printing the photos and I'm pinning them to the board, so when you get here, we can go over it and share evidence." After that Elizabeth disconnects the call.