Chapter 17

Dee

I was still on the phonecall with mom when she was suddenly cut off, which I just thought of as a bad connection seeing that we're in the middle of nowhere, I feed Caleb in our room.

After he's finished I put him down in his crib and went to get myself an almost late night snack. Eric was fast asleep in the living room on the couch, I couldn't help but giggle softly at the snoring sounds coming from him. I look into the fridge, not much in here but I grab a dish of cheese spread and a packet of chips.

I go to the porch outside and sit on the steps, I open the noisy bag and pry open the cheese spread. I take a few chips and dunk them into the cheese, as soon as it crunches in my mouth I close my eyes and let a small moan escape me.

"Good huh?" I jump as the voice calls out to me, it's Kyle. "Sorry... didn't mean to scare you." He plops himself next to me and wraps his arm around me. "You okay?"

With a mouth full of chips I mumble out a yes. He chuckles at me and tries to take some chips. I smack his hand away. "Mine." He looks at me and grunts.

"But you're... mine!" He launches himself at me and I scramble to get away with my prized chips. He grabs my hips and I land on the chips with a big crunch.

"Oh come on! My chips!" I whine at him. He flips me onto my back and the chips crunch more underneath me. He looks at me for a moment, holding my hands in place. He starts to kiss me and I give in very easily, given that he squashed my snack.

Things start to heat up and I pull away. He whines and I smack his shoulder. "Not outside you perv!" I say to him. He rolls off of me.

"You're no fun..." he whines again and I laugh at his pout.

"We better sleep or else Mr Little Caleb will keep us up." I get up and go to our room. I sneak a peek at him and our little man is still fast asleep.

I get into bed wearing a long shirt of Kyle's, shorts and socks my usual sleepwear nowadays, a very upset Kyle in just shorts gets in next to me. "Good night my man." I whisper to him and his pout grows. I hold in my laugh "I love you."

I peck his lips and snuggle into him. He pulls me closer and mumbles into my ear. "I love you too, even if you are a spoil sport." I giggle and enjoy his arms wrapped around me. I fall asleep feeling safe...

Some time in the early morning my phone buzzes. I groan and pull myself out of bed. I open my eyes and rub them. I look at my phone and see it's my mom. 'What is it now? Another declaration of love?' I roll my eyes.

I mutter a few curses as I grab the phone and go to the bathroom. I close the door and answer. "Mother... do you know what time it is?" There's just silence on the other end of the phone, I get an uneasy feeling in my gut. "Hello?" Then the voice speaks... and it's the voice from my nightmares.

"Hello Dianne." I take in a breath as I feel my body start to shake, my body begins to tremble and my palms become sweaty.

"J-Jay?" I ask even though I know its him...

"Yes, my love, it's me..." I slide down the door as I feel the tears fill my eyes. My heart drops to the floor as the nightmare has started to set in.