Chapter 4

Detective Jordan

I stare at the board, trying to figure out what exactly this guy is planning while playing with my pen. Grant walks in and leans against my desk looking at the board too. "What fucked up plan does he have in store?" He mumbles to me and I sigh.

"I have no idea but it's crystal clear that his intentions are not good." I point to that old Detective's notes and suspicions. "And why wasn't it handled earlier. As it's clear there was a problem 8 years ago. And if it was handled then... all this shit wouldn't have happened..."

Grant looks at his watch "it's just after 6... and you know what it means if I get home later than 7..." I nod. His wife is a real hardass about the hours he works.

"I know. I know... just... I can't help but think we're missing something... and like why is Reginald his partner..." I say and look over at my partner.

"Well... bounce your theories on me." I twirl myself in a circle.

"What if-" I begin but the receptionist, Sophie, appears by our desk. "Can we help you Sophie?" I ask slightly annoyed that she disrupted our conversation.

"Um... Detective Jordan... there's a kid here to speak to you." I raise an eyebrow.

"Regarding what?" I snap back.

"Regarding your case, Detective." She snaps back at me.

"Fine. Send the kid in." She walks away and I face Grant. "Just as my brain was starting to work overtime." I mumble to him and he shakes his head while looking at his watch.

Sophie returns with a kid who has black hair. "Here is Detective Jordan." With that she leaves.

He walks closer to us, his hair dangles in his face. "Can I help you...?" I ask waiting for a name.

"Zach." He says quickly. A bit too quickly for my liking... my gut twists...

"How can I help you, Zach?" I ask him.

"Well... Detective... I was hoping... but I understand if you can't... but I'm an old friend of Dianne..." I frown at the mention of her name. Most people associated or friends with her are dead.

"What about her?" Grant pipes in. The kid look to him then back to me. He glances to the board and that sets off alarm bells in my head. Grant must sense this too. "Listen kid. We have work to do. What do you want?"

The kid practically tears his eyes away from the board and looks to your feet. "I-is she okay?" He asks. I look to Grant who has the same look I have. Suspicion.

"That is none of your business kid..." I see him clench his fists...

"I-I just need to know if she's okay. We had classes together." He tries again.

I step in this time. "We don't have any information on her so fuck off now, would you?" I say to see if he will lash out. He looks at my table and his knuckles go white. But I can't go on my gut sadly. No matter how bad I want to, I can't.

"Sorry Detectives. For bothering you." He spits through gritted teeth. Before we can question him anymore he storms out of the station.