Chapter 8

Detective Jordan

"Listen Detective. Why don't you make this easier for everyone... make this easier for her..." I feel a chill run down my spine. "Tell me where she is... and... and I won't make it as painful..."

"Jayden, I don't kn-"

"Bullshit!" He screams over the phone. "Don't lie to me Detective... you can know somehow..." Grant motions for me to keep him talking. "You know this isn't going to end well... the question is how bad..." his voice is as cold as ice.

"What happened to you?" I ask him. That question has been eating me alive.

"What happened?" He spits out with so much venom, I don't dare say a word "The girl who said she loved me and said she was only mine... turned around and shoved it all back in my face, she's with her fucking stepbrother! And has a child with him? No no no Detective, you need to ask her what happened to her."

I don't say anything as I hear his rage and I have a feeling it isn't going to stop.

"They will all pay Detective... just you are in control of who all pays..."

"What do you mean?" I ask as I don't quite like where this is heading.

"Oh Detective... I thought you would've caught on by now." I don't answer. "It could be as simple as just Desiree and Keagan Dawson." I freeze and I feel my body go numb. "That's if you tell me where they are..." my mouth goes dry. "If not... then maybe a few more people will get in the way..."

"Who do you mean by 'a few more' people?" I ask feeling my heart beat faster. I know this answer is going to be painful to hear.

"Mmm... maybe let's say... the rest of her family? Maybe your partner? I don't know Detective. But I'm willing to go quite far with my plan..." I'm at a loss for words, Grant sees my face and his expression changes dramatically. "Are you going to make it just them two? Or..." he leaves the question open.

"I don't know where they are."

"But you can find out." I throw my paper cup with the coffee across the room. I grit my teeth. I want to scream and reach through the phone and punch the living daylights out of him. "Just find out at which one of the flower shops she is working at, that's all I need."

"What flower shop?" I ask genuinely stumped.

"You don't even know?" He laughs a sadistic laugh. "Man it feels good to know more than you do. Find out and tell me at which Randy's Roses is she working at... if not then the blood is on your hands." The call disconnects.

"Fuck." Is all I can say. "Could they track it?"

"Sadly there was some kind of high tech encryption and it bounced off countless towers."

"Fredrick..." I mutter. I pull my hair and bang the table. Grant stares at me. "Travis... man... I don't know what the fuck to do..." my head spins. I drop my head into my hands.

"What did he say?" I groan and take a deep breath. It feels as if the world's weight is on my shoulders now. I look up at him through the gaps of my fingers.