chapter twenty-nine | unravelling

*•*•*•*
"I'm not afraid of commitment. I'm afraid of surrendering control too quickly–of
placing my heart into hands that won't know how to hold it."
*•*•*•

Carrie

MASON DOESN'T ANSWER my texts and he doesn't show up to school the next day. The moment he recognised Michaels car in the driveway last night, he ordered me to go home, without giving me a single explanation. I can't help but feel both hurt and afraid of his wellbeing and what could have happened.

Thankfully, Kane wasn't at school either, so at least I didn't have to endure any torment from him. Mel, however, didn't even try to hide her contempt and displeasure of my presence. That resulted in Piper getting a weeks detention after throwing a full pencil sharpener at the back of Mel's head.

It's the last period of the week and I'm packing the last of my books from my locker into my bag. The hallway is crowded with students more than eager to get home for the weekend. Jubilant shouts can be heard all the way down the street. I can't help but feel bitter about their happiness.

Just as I slam the locker door shut, Chase appears on the other side, his typically cool demeanour rattled with anxiety. "I need to talk to you." There is an urgency underlying in his tone, nearing borderline panic.

I sling my bag across my shoulder, frowning. "Okay..."

"Alone," Chase adds. It's strange to see the cocky and confident bad boy so agitated and anxious. I'm so used to the calm and collected Chase, who rolls cigarettes between his fingers and flirts with any girl who passes.

"Is something wrong?" I demand, following him through the thinning crowd of teenagers.

"I'll explain soon," Chase replies, taking a swift left turn before ducking into an empty classroom. I hurry in after him, quickly closing the door and pulling the blinds down so nobody can see us in here.

"What the fuck is going on?" My voice rises to a shout as I throw myself down onto the teachers chair, glaring at Chase angrily.

His eyes are downcast, lips set in a thin line. "I know about Masons father. I know he beats him."

I blink, surprised by his bluntness. "I—sorry?"

"Don't play dumb, Carrie." Chases voice is low but his eyes are demanding. "I know that you know what's going on. I was the one who saw you both kissing. I was the one who told Kane."

Anger swells in my chest. I knock a tin of pens from the desk and leap to my feet, eyes flashing. "You had no right to do that!"

Chase rolls his eyes, appearing unconcerned. "You're better off without him."

"That's not your choice to make," I snap.

"The guilt would tear you both apart!" he argues.

"We're not even dating yet!" I explode, angrily kicking the chair behind me. It topples backward and takes a chip out from the plaster. "I've been dating Kane for years! I was not ready to end it like that!"

Chase runs his large hands through his hair impatiently. "Look, that's not what I wanted to talk to you about."

"Is it that hard for your arrogant, self-absorbed arse to say sorry?"