chapter thirty-seven | the eye of the storm

*•*•*•*
"Only by facing your demons can you stop them from having power over you."
*•*•*•*

Mason

PEOPLE DRESSED IN THEIR finest pour out of the open doors of the courthouse, conversing between themselves. They hardly steal a single glance at me as they pass by, heading for the car park. I'm just another boy blurred out by the pretty scenery behind me. I'm grateful for that.

Hands buried into the pockets of my ironed trousers, blazer blowing back from the gentle breeze blowing through the porch and tie scratching uncomfortably against my neck, I lean against one of the marble pillars holding up the awning, my eyes trained on the entrance doors as I wait for Carrie.

The verdict came out with positive results; a guilty Kane Atkinson. Having recently turned eighteen, he was currently being escorted by guards to the state prison with his record permanently stained and a hefty charge tucked under his belt. Carrie was just having a last minute discussion with the judge.

Butterflies erupt in my stomach at the reminder of last night. Our bodies melting into one; sparking an eternal flame and an everlasting love I will hold onto until the day I draw my last breath. Even if our relationship one day ends, that memory will be forever imprinted into my mind.

Ever since I was first introduced into the world of hormones and sex, my primary objective was pleasure. Nothing else mattered but the rush of endorphins flooding through my bloodstream. I didn't give a shit about emotional connection or the hearts I was breaking. I simply searched for pleasure because it numbed the pain.

Last night I finally discovered what real pleasure was. How sex is supposed to be. I wasn't just hooking up with some random girl or so drunk I couldn't remember their names when I woke up wrapped in sweaty sheets the next morning. I felt alive, felt free, felt fucking amazing.

Carrie exits out of the wide oak doors, exhaustion clouding over her eyes and a definite slouch in her posture. Her black dress is bunched up around her knees and her heels look worn down. Nonetheless, the moment our eyes meet a smile breaks across her face and she runs for me.

Her arms snake around my neck as she pulls me into a passionate and fiery kiss. With little concern of the judgmental onlookers walking past, I curl my fingers around the roots of her hair and push her back into the stone wall.

Heat rises from my stomach into my chest as I claim her mouth, hungrily and intensely. A wave of warmth washes over me, invading and unfurling my senses. Her taste is addictive and I can feel myself unwinding from its sweetness.

My tongue glides past her soft and swollen lips, entering her mouth that is currently radiating heat. Gripping the sides of my face, Carrie desperately kisses me back with a newfound desire and lust, her teeth scraping against my lips as her tongue swirls against mine.

Carrie moans softly—just enough for me to hear—and tips her head back sensually, her eyes fluttering shut.

My hands capture her hips, while my mouth catches onto the exposed skin of her neck. Arching her back so she's pressed up against the wall, she rises a few inches as her toes curl.

"Get a room," a man mutters behind me, while another older lady coughs obnoxiously loud.

My middle finger lifts up in their direction as I twist my arm behind my back.