16. I Promise

(No one's POV)

     It was always a mystery to Naiyah how time worked. Being what she was, she was able to have an infinite amount of time. She had so much of it, she didn't even know what to do with it. So many people couldn't achieve what they wanted to do, all of those dreams and goals, because they ran out of time. Being immortal was a curse disguised as a blessing. People wish they had time like her, they could do so many things, go to so many places and still have time to do more. But then you run out of things to do. That's when you make new goals, new adventures. And when you get done with those, you still have time for more. Maybe go climb that mountain again for the sixth time or go visit this country, you have only been there twice. Go reread your favorite series again, but it will never be good as the first time you read it. Go cook this new recipe you discovered in a book, only to realize it will never satisfy your new diet.     

     Once you get done with those achievements, you get to make more.

     Oh what fun it is to be immortal.

     But here's the thing, you have these good points that come into this life. Youth is forever to be with you. Never worrying if you get sick because you are the epitome of health that everyone wishes they could have. To be fit without even trying is what everyone wants. The knowledge that comes along with it, the longer you stay alive.

     But there is a difference when you are given this life and when you are forced to live it.

     Those given are the happiest, most of the time. They wanted internal and external beauty, they wanted it so much now they will be forever blessed with it. Most of the time they have someone to share this life with them. To forever have a companion by your side. Never alone. Basically the perfect travel companion. This life, for them, is like an endless vacation. Always moving forward.

     Then you have those who are forced to live it. Where they weren't given a choice. Their life, their perfect human life, was taken from them. They didn't want it, but it didn't matter. They were going to live it anyways. All those precious plans came to a sudden halt, literally running into a glass wall. You can see life on the other side going forward, moving on without you. And all you can do is watch. Watching helplessly. You mourn and grieve, but that does nothing. You think of the endless "What ifs" but that does nothing as well. Family and friends, even enemies, they go on with life. You see them succeed, you see them fail. You see them live. Until they don't anymore. Until they are nothing but memories, until they are forgotten. The longer you live, the more you forget them. The people who you were close with are the past now.

     Time stops only for you. The tick goes silent, never moving forwards.

     The thing is with time, time has this way of slowing down. It doesn't look like it but it does.

     Sometimes it goes in slow motion and other times it passes by in a blink of an eye. It's unpredictable.

     In times of need it can quickly end, abruptly. Or it can carry on for who knows how long.