Gem Day (Part 1)

"Trolls-Cyclopedia Scrapbook: Volume 31: Chapter 7: The Origin of Troll gems. On the day a Troll baby gets its first hair, it's cut. And then, it's planted like a seed in the gem garden and fertilized. Fertilized with joy! As the Troll's joy grows, the seed grows, too. Until one day, a flower blooms, revealing their unique Troll gem inside."

Poppy was accompanied by her fellow rulers, telling the story to the young Trolls.

Queen Essence continued, "After that, we present the gem to the Troll before the whole nation to honor them for embracing their joy."

The kids were amazed.

One asked, "Is it true that your gem glows when it hears you sing?"

Trollex answered, "I don't know. You tell me."

Trollex took out his gem and sang a note.

As he did, the gem glowed as brightly as it could.

The kids were in awe.

Another then asked, "When will we get ours, Your Majesties?"

Poppy answered, "Won't be long now. Most gems bloom right around your age. Though sometimes, it does take a little longer."

Branch came in, "Poppy! Did you hear? Meadow Spriggs said my gem sprouted this morning."

Poppy said, "Of course we heard, Branch."

Barb told the kids, "Branch is what we call a late bloomer."

Branch continued, "It's blowing my mind. I'm getting a Troll gem. Me! The Village Grouch!"

Poppy said, "Hey, no one thinks you're the Village Grouch...they think you're the Village Grump."

Queen Essence whispered, "Poppy."

Branch just said, "No, no, it's fine. It's actually a fair point. Anyways, all I mean is, I did it. I actually became a joyful person."

Delta Dawn said, "You sure did, sugar. And we're all very proud of you. Which is why we're all gonna make sure your Gem Day is a real hoot!"

Poppy said, "Yep. Something to show how big a deal this is."

Branch said, "Oh, you guys, you spoil me...but, yes. It is a big deal, so I'll be paying close attention."

"Hmm?"

"I'm just kidding. Come here!"

They all got together for a group hug.

Branch then weirdly whispered, "But, this day is super important to me."

He then broke away from the hug, "Ok, see you soon!"

He left everyone slightly befuddled.

***

While the other leaders were getting everything else ready for the Gem Day celebration, Poppy had Branch's gem and was talking with Sky Toronto.

He said, "Queen Poppy, I assure you that we have done our part in making this Gem Day a tremendous success. I ordered Klaus to design the best-tasting cupcake he ever has or ever will make, and he did."

Klaus brought the cupcake and Poppy said, "It's the perfect Gem Day dessert!"

Sky then said, "Dessert? Queen Poppy, if I had any spare time, I'd chuckle at that remark. This isn't the dessert. It's the invitation."

The bottom of the cupcake had an envelope with a pop-up Branch, "You're invited!"

Poppy said, "Get out!"

Sky replied, "I will not. Baked into every cupcake is a gummy replica of Branch's gem."

Poppy took one and the gem and said, "This is crazy. They're almost identical."

But, Poppy dropped them both.

One landed back on the pillow and the other in a bowl of other gummy replicas.

Poppy took the pillow and said, "Wow. I'm just do impressed. Now, let's talk presentation boxes for the real gem."

But, Poppy then slipped on some spilled icing.

When the gem fell, it went...

"Squish? A gummy one? Then, the real gem is..."

The last of the cupcakes made was shipped out.

Poppy was frantic, "The gem!"

Sky said, "Fantastic. Every cupcake shipped out to every Troll in the village ahead of schedule. Uh, you were saying?"

Poppy knew she had to do something quick.