Chapter 12

It's been two days since I reached out to Kara. I've sent 3 more texts apologising. She hasn't replied once. Now I was really getting scared I might lose my best friend. We might go into senior year and KK would be no more. Would we have to split our friends? I mean the guys were more my friends anyway, so I guess a custody agreement for them isn't needed. What would it be like in the hallways, would our peers take sides? How could I go on without her in my life? I refuse to believe that she can just push me away like this. Time, she just needs more time.

I had been pacing my room staring at my phone just willing it to ring, wanting Kara to at least text me back. Even if she just told me to stop texting her. This silent treatment was killing me. I groaned loudly and fell back onto my bed on my back, my hands covering my face.

There was a soft knock on the door. "Come in" I groaned, the sound muffled from my arms over my face.

"Mind if I come in?" I sat up quickly, too quick, my head spun slightly, it was Tyler. Not who I expected at all, I had assumed it was Mason, it's usually always Mason.

"Ah, hi. What can I do for you?" I smiled gently as he stood awkwardly in the doorway, I gestured for him to come further in.

"Did Kara text you back yet?"

"No. Nothing. She's never ignored me this long before." I said, deflated.

"I'm sure she will come around soon." he said, but I noticed he looked like he wanted to say something else instead. 

"Maybe. Ah Tyler, is there something else you wanted? As much as I enjoy chatting with you, I feel like you are stalling." He stood awkwardly with his hands in his pockets.

"I was wondering, um. I.." he stuttered out. I stood up and took his hand from his pocket. He looked up at me, staring into my eyes, I immediately saw them soften.

"I was thinking about going to see Madi today, I wondered if you would come with me? I.. I can't do it on my own." He finished softly.

"Of course." That was all that needed to be said. It was like a silent agreement that we had, he helped me, and I'll help him.

The hospital, thankfully, was only a 20 minute drive away. I say that because we drove in silence the whole time. 

Tyler hadn't told me anything more about Madi since the day on the pier, I didn't know why she was in hospital and I wasn't going to ask. He didn't even tell Harry where we were going, just that we were heading out. I could feel that he was nervous, he even put a proper t-shirt on instead of a singlet and adidas runners instead of his usual flip flops.

We parked the car and walked into the hospital. He reached out for my hand and I gave it to him because it was the only way I knew to give him comfort without words, I squeezed gently, reassuring him that I am here for him. He looked at me, giving me a small smile that didn't reach his eyes. 

We approached the main reception desk, he asked for his sisters' room, the nurse gave him a sad smile and directions.

We took a lift to the third floor, which as we saw getting out was obviously the paediatrics ward, going by the bright colours and animal pictures lining the walls. We turned left just as the nurse had said, then the second corridor on the right. 

I looked up to the sign, 'Burns Unit' and gasped slightly. I felt Tyler's grip on my hand tighten, his hand getting sweaty. He was nervous. Despite my shock I had to be strong for him in this moment. 

We continued down the hall to room 34 as the nurse had said, pausing by the door before entering. Inside we could see a small girl, she was wearing cute Frozen pyjamas, but we could also see her right leg and arm were covered in bandages. 

She turned towards the door, probably sensing our presence and her small face lit up. I instantly knew it was Madi, she had the same beautiful blue eyes and sandy blonde hair as Tyler.

"It's ok Ty, you can do this. She's so happy to see you." I quietly encouraged. 

Now I knew why the nurse at reception had given us a sad smile. This ward shouldn't even exist, children shouldn't have to suffer like this ever. 

Tyler took a deep breath and pushed open the door.

"Ty!!" Madi, practically squealed. She wasn't able to get off the bed, but I'm sure if she could have, she would have run and jumped onto her big brother. 

He let go of my hand and walked to the bed, enveloping his little sister into a giant hug. I stayed near the door. This was their time and it felt like it wasn't my place to intrude, I got him here, that was what he needed most. 

"Hey bug, I missed you" he said to her.

"Wouldn't know it! You haven't been to see me. I asked Aunt Nessa every single day." She pouted.

"Sorry bug." He said, running his hand through his hair nervously. He didn't know how to explain to a 6 year old how it was too hard to see her. Now I understood. If honest, I have so many questions, but I knew I would have to wait until he told me in his own time.

"Who's that?" Madi asked shyly, pointing to me. Tyler turned around and smiled at me, beckoning me to come closer. I moved to the seat by the bed as Tyler introduced us.

"Madi, this is my friend Kayla. Kayla, this is Madi. Kayla is one of Harry's friends from school and we've been hanging out this summer." He quickly explained.

"Hi Madi, it's a pleasure to meet you" I smiled, sitting down.

"So you haven't been to see me because of a girl" the sassy little girl crossed her arms across her chest, telling her brother off. "Lucky she's pretty I guess" she rolled her eyes and we laughed at the little girl's attitude.

The two siblings caught up with each other but avoiding any serious conversation about what may have happened or about her obvious burns. I kept to myself, knowing that they needed this time together. He told her about our trip to Shell Cove, the pier earlier in the week with the trio singing and the dancing girls. He promised he would take her to the pier for ice-cream when she is all better and she seemed happy with that. After an hour, a doctor came to do checks, we took that as our sign to leave.

"Promise me you will come back soon" she pleaded.

"Of course, bug. I love you" he kissed her on the head.

"You can even bring your girlfriend" she giggled.

"Madison James!" He fake gasped at her. Then smiling, "we are just friends, bug" 

"For now, big brother. Bye Kayla, look after him please." the little girl who was wise far beyond her years said to us. 

"Bye Madi, it was lovely to meet you" I waved as we left the room, both of us far more relaxed than when we entered.

We made our way down the hall and pressed the button to wait for the lift. Surprisingly when we entered, we were the only ones in such a busy hospital. Pressing the button for the ground floor Tyler turned to me.

"Thank you for this. I couldn't have done it without your support." he said as he wrapped his arms around my waist. I wasn't expecting a hug, but let him have it. 

"You probably have a lot of questions" he said softly.

I pulled away from the hug.

"You are stronger than you think Tyler. I do have questions, but you don't need to tell me until you are ready." I said, looking him in the eye. He nodded, seeming to be taking that into consideration.

"Maybe we can go get some lunch and talk?" he asked.

"I'd like that" I smiled at him. 

As we left the lift, he took my hand into his again, this time it wasn't for comfort, it was just because he wanted to. Now I was nervous, butterflies forming in my tummy at this seemingly innocent touch. He shared a big part of himself with me today and neither of us were running away.