Chapter 22

The sun was hot the next day and for the sake of friendship I had voluntarily chosen to sit in it. I was at Mason and Harry's basketball game while Tyler went to the hospital to visit Madi. He had asked me to come along, but I thought he should see her alone this time.

Looking around me to the crowd I could see the boys managed a fair crowd, mostly of the female variety. I recognised some of the girls from school, they were some of the cheerleaders who didn't really like Kara and I, including Sasha. Turning my attention back to the court, I could also see why they were here. The guys played in teams of shirts and skins, and the sight was more than pleasing.

I sat by myself, a few rows in front of the other girls. Kara usually would have joined me, but she was seeing Luke, her new fling, today. As the game came to an end Mason and Harry walked over to me to grab their water bottles.

"Nice win boys. You've got some fans back there" I winked at them.

Mason looked behind and rolled his eyes. "They show up every week. You would think they have something better to do all summer."

"And miss all of this?" I waved my hands around referencing their bodies as what draws the crowd, screwing my face up at the amount of sweat that was actually on their bodies.

"I bet if Tyler was this sweaty you wouldn't be so turned off" Mason teased me.

I shrugged my shoulders, but unable to hide my smile. "No Jason today?" I said changing the topic.

"Nah, he had to go and visit his grandparents this week."

"Cool, well I've missed you, so we are hanging out today ok. Need some best friend time, but first you need to shower" I said, pinching my nose.

He agreed, we invited Harry, but he said his mom wanted him to come over today and rushed off. Mason gathered his bags and we were about to leave when Sasha and her cheerleader friends approached us.

"Great game again Mason" Sasha said in her sickly sweet voice, running her hand down his arm. Did she not get grossed out by the sweat?

"Yeah, thanks Sasha" he replied. He wasn't the type to be deliberately rude, so he would entertain whatever she had to say.

"Maybe you want to come hang out at my house; we have a pool that you could cool off in?" she twirled her hair around her finger, trying to flirt.

"Sorry, I'm busy today. Maybe another time. Ready to go Kay?" he asked, making sure to look directly at me.

"Urgh, you are hanging out with her? You already get sick of the other guy I saw you with Kayla?" she turned to me now, bitterness evident in her tone.

"Yeah, sure, something like that." I said, rolling my eyes as I turned to walk away not willing to get into an argument with her.

"I guess it's true what I've heard about you slutting it up this summer then. You and Kara really are the town bikes, everyone gets a ride"

I felt my body stiffen, my blood pressure rising. This girl was itching for a fight and Mason could tell I was agitated.

"Just ignore her Kayla, you know that she has no idea what she is talking about. She is just trying to get a reaction out of you." Mason tried to reason with me, but I guess she sucked me in.

"Excuse me?" I said turning around.

"Well everyone knows you slept with Garret, then a week later I see you with another guy, then Amber saw you with Garret again last weekend. Now you are leaving with Mason and we all know about you two, even if you deny it. So just admit it Kayla, you are a bigger slut than your best friend."