Chapter 21

"So where are you taking me?" I asked as we pulled out of the driveway.

Mason looked sideways at me, shooting me a grin. He was dressed as usual in shorts- navy dress shorts this time, and a light white button down shirt with the long sleeves rolled up to his elbows. I briefly wondered if he even own any long pants at all.

"Well Harry suggested an Italian place in town and then I thought we could go play mini golf. I know it's cliché, but I thought it might be fun" he said sheepishly.

"As long as you understand that mini golf is a serious sport and I don't lose. Ever!" I said, feigning seriousness. This made him laugh and made the both of us feel relaxed.

I decided I wanted to tell him about my conversation with his aunt, not to start the date out on a bad note, but just to be honest with him and get it out of the way. The longer I waited to tell him or if I just didn't tell him, it might be worse in the end.

"Ty, I feel like I should tell you something, just please don't get mad. I just always want to be honest with you, you deserve that. I just have to tell you and then after we can enjoy the night together."

I watched his reaction as his smile dropped and he suddenly looked incredibly worried. I watched his adams apple move as he glanced at me nervously.

"Um, ok" he said.

"I just think you should know that your Aunt, she spoke to me today. She thinks this, us, is a bad idea. That we are both too damaged and will hurt each other even more."

I watched his grip on the steering wheel tighten and his jaw tense. He was angry.

"What did you tell her?"

"I said that maybe she is wrong, but no matter what, that it is up to us. That even if things didn't work out, that it's our lessen to learn, but if things do work then how could that not be worth the risk. I explained that I have already seen changes in you since I first met you, that the way you make me feel isn't something I'm going to walk away from, no matter her thoughts on it."

This made him relax, as we stopped at a red light he turned to me and raised one eyebrow.

"You said all of that to her? Really?"

"It was a very open and honest conversation. Don't get me wrong, Mrs. James scares the crap out of me sometimes, but I need to stand up for me. For you and me."

He reached over and took my hand as the light changed and we kept driving.

"I'm proud of you. Thanks for telling me Kayla. It's not her place to have an opinion, but I'm glad you told me about that conversation. Now let's forget about her, I've had enough of her for one day. The rest of tonight is all about us."

He pulled my hand to his lips, kissing it before letting go so he could use both hands to park the car as we had arrived at the restaurant.

Tyler had booked us a booth towards the back of the restaurant where it was a bit more private, it was lovely. I had been here before with my family, I knew the gnocchi was to die for so that's what I ordered. We were comfortable, being with Tyler felt like I had known him for so much longer than a couple of weeks. Now that he was in my life, I couldn't imagine it without him.

"Alright, so explain to me you and Kara. You seem so opposite of each other." Tyler asked.

"Well that's just it. I calm her down, she brings out my confidence. We balance each other out, sort of like opposite attract in a friend version."

"Hmm, yeah I can see that. I also imagine you two are trouble together, a lot to handle."

"That's why we have the guys, to keep us in check. We may get up to trouble together sometimes"