Chapter 33: Arthur's flames

I stood outside the entrance to the secret tunnels. Arthur was all ready inside, and I was supposed to follow behind him.

But I didn't want to. But I made a promise, and since it was made to one of my possible future murders, I had to go through with it. 

"Maria, I want you to be careful. Arthur has been . . . different lately." Blake said 

"Different how?"

"It's, it's hard to explain. But I just have a bad feeling about this, alright?" he said taking my hand.

"I agree with Master Blake." Mason said butting in. "That Arthur fellow is bad news, Lady Maria. Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?"

"Maria! Are you coming?" Arthur yelled before I could answer.

"Yes, I'm coming!" I yelled. "I'll be fine." I said turning back to them. I gave them a small smile, then walked into the passage.

I was walking blindly for a while, until a saw a flicker of light up ahead. It looked like Arthur's fire, but it kept moving away from me. I trailed behind it, through all the twist and turns of the passages.

"Why are these tunnels so long?" I thought. The light finally came to a stop, but Arthur was turned away from me.

"Hey, why did you keep running away from me? Do you even know the way back? This place is so confusing, haha." I said, hopping to the lighten the mood.

Arthur didn't say anything, but he did turn around to face me. His face was unmoving, and his eyes were blank. I almost couldn't see his iris, and I took a step back.

"Maria." he chocked out. "I'm sorry." He took a few step forward, but I kept moving away.

"Sorry for what?" I asked. "I need to get out of here." I thought, but then I hit a wall.

"Shoot!" I tried finding a gape for a doorway with my hand, but Arthur had already stopped in front of me, and pulled my hand away.

"I'm sorry that I have to do this Maria, I truly am." he whispered, as he stood only inches away from me.

"Do what?" I asked. "Is it because of your parents? If they put you up to this . . . I'm sure I can find you a way out." 

He stiffened, and his eyes flashed with terror. " You don't understand, I have to do this, Maria." he said again, before closing his eyes. "I'm sorry" he whispered. 

That was thing I heard before my ears were filled with the sounds of my own screams, as his flames consumed my body, and my life.