01

The sound of heavy rain and woman wailing beside (y/n) couldn't disturb her thought as she stared at the grave of her brother as his wife or her sister in law sobbed over him. She frowned. 'I can't really cry anymore. This family is a damn curse to be around.'

"Poor (l/n)s." People whispered as the girl walked beside her father who dressed in a black yukata like the rest of his family. She ignored the whispers by the villagers around them in the Okutama County as they walked to the base of Mt. Sagiri where their home sat at. The children cried behind her as their father had passed away. It pained (y/n) know what was coming next once they made it home.

"Almost every man in the family has died on the hands of a demon." The villagers explained the pain. "Sons of their sons and daughters, brother in laws, all dead." They shook their heads. "They are said to be cursed." One rumored.
"I guess you can blame the father for that. He ran away from saving his first wife during a demon attack on his first family." They seemed shocked. "Is that why he quit so quickly once he married his second wife?" They asked in shock. "Poor lady got herself into a mess when she stayed by his side. Now look at her, all her sons are dead. All she has are daughters and daughter in laws." An elderly woman frowned as she watched them from her window.

(Y/n) kept her head down. She gazed up at her father who frowned at their words. She opened her mouth to tell him to ignore them but no words came out as she knew what they said were true.
"Because of their ranking, the girls can't even remarry. The father sells coal to the blacksmiths but even there they aren't paid well." They explained in the tea shop they passed by.
"Wait, are you trying to say is that the reason each daughter and son is married so early to a demon slayer is for money?" They couldn't believe the morality. "The father quit because he was a coward. He still calls himself a demon slayer. Honestly, the family has no hope." They prayed for the (l/n)s and their strict rules of living.

"Don't they have a young daughter who isn't married yet?" A man asked his boss at the pottery shop. "Tomorrow she'll be paired. I'm sure she will. It always happens. After a funeral, they move on to the next son or daughter to wed off, being picky on their next spouse, usually a demon slayer to get as much money as possible." The old man replied, closing the windows so the cold air wouldn't get in.

(Y/n) sighed heavily through her nostrils. 'Not like I want to be married.'

(Y/n) dried her hair after her shower as her father prayed in his room. He made it to the living room where her sister in law sobbed with her 5 year old son. He'd have to go through t he same fate too. "(Y/n)!" Her mother called for her which the girl obeyed and followed her.

(Y/n) was in a thin white hadajuban robe that was made of cotton. "I hear orange is a good color for wedding and rainy seasons." Her mother went off as she picked out a bronze orange yukata from her kiritansu drawers. (Y/n) stood at the corner of the room, amazed by the jewelry she never noticed in the house before, probably because these were her sister in law's dowry before they moved in.
"Come." And so she did.
She winced as her mother wrapped the yukata tightly around her waist. She could feel her hair and scalp almost come off as her mother comes her hair. "Hold still." She said as the comb was in between her teeth.
Applying a thin layer of blush on her cheeks and lipstick on her frowning lips, her mother gave a relieved grin, proudly showing her amazement of her daughter.
Although (y/n) couldn't say the same as she stared at herself in the mirror. She was rather disgusted at what she saw. She wanted to yell at her mother for making her look like she was dressed in a vase but the fear of speaking up terrified her and so she remained quiet.
"Strap on your setta sandals. We're going to be late." She yelled at (y/n) who wanted to scold as her for yelling but rushed to get her shoes anyways.

(Y/n) could feel the people stare at her as she followed her mother to the widow down the street. She wasn't a matchmaker as they have become poor  but she knew which demon slayer was available as her own son was one. (Y/n)'s mother once asked if he was the same age as one of her sisters but the woman said he's already married.