Chapter 10

I tried to avoid the news that weekend, but I couldn't. My parents always had the family room tv tuned into the local news station. I heard everything that was going on in the world. This was turning into a pandemic.

Several businesses and restaurants around us had temporarily closed. They were trying their best to prevent the spread of the virus. I was in shock. This is something I would never forget. This was unlike anything I had ever experienced before.

I logged into my laptop and checked my email. There was one new message from my university. It read:

Staff and students:

We would like to inform you that we are very aware of the Covid concerns. Please note that we are keeping up with all of the updates and will do our best to adapt to these challenging times. As of right now, we are taking extra precautions. We have disinfected the classrooms and will continue to be extra cautious. We will update you with any changes on campus.

See you all on Monday!

I was thoroughly rattled after reading that email. Due to the fact that our local businesses were closing, I didn't think they should press on with in person classes. I guess education is more important than our health, I thought sarcastically.

That first weekend was something I'll always remember. You couldn't go anywhere without hearing about the virus. It was unavoidable. People were starting to wear face masks out in public. It was such a bizarre sight to me. I had begun wearing face masks around friends and family in third grade. Anytime one of them was sick and I had to be around them, I made sure to wear my mask. I also wore my mask if I was the one who was sick. I hated spreading my germs just as much as I hated contracting them. It was so foreign to see other people wearing them too. Before all of this, I would've gotten weird looks if I ever dared to wear one in public. Now it was becoming the normal thing to do. By Monday, I hadn't really thought about anything else except this horrible virus.

I reluctantly got ready for class and suddenly remembered something that I hadn't thought about since Friday afternoon: Brett. At least I would get to see him today. He was the only person who could cheer me up.

I changed my clothes and tossed my hair up into one of my signature messy buns. When I got to class, I was so thankful to see Brett.

He sat down next to me. "What a crazy weekend, huh?" Who would've thought something like this could've happened so quickly?"

Me. I knew this was going to happen. "Yeah. It's pretty scary."

"Are you ready for our speech?"

"Ready as I'll ever be. How do you want to divide this up, Brett? I was thinking maybe we could trade off and read every other paragraph. How does that sound?"

"Sounds good to me." He smiled.

The butterflies in my stomach stirred again. I loved being able to sit next to Brett everyday. He gave me a reason to go to class, other than my degree of course.

"Good morning guys! I hope you're all staying safe and healthy!"

Yeah, me too, I thought. I hope we don't have to be the first ones to present.

"If you guys are ready, I think we'll have Brett and Mabel start us off." She smiled up at us in the back row.

Of course. Just my luck. Brett and I stood up and walked down to the front of the room. It was weird being all the way over here. I had never ventured anywhere in the room except the very last row by the door. I looked up at everyone. I was instantly nervous. I could never be a teacher. I don't know how they're able to talk in front of so many people every day. At least that narrows down one career, I thought. I really needed to figure out what I wanted to do with my life.

Brett spoke up. "Ladies first." He smirked and handed me the paper, signaling that I should read the first paragraph.

I snatched it out of his hand and prepared to read what we had written. Brett tried to act chivalrous, but I knew better. I knew he just didn't want to go first, and I certainly didn't want to go first either.

I finished reading my part and passed him the paper, smiling. As I listened to him read his part, I relaxed more and more. I was comfortable with him here, even though all eyes were on us.

It's crazy how quickly things can change in a week. I was pretty much head over heels for him. He was just so nice, and smart, and charming, and cute, and-

Brett nudged my arm. "Your turn, Mabel."

"Right." I took the paper and began reading the third paragraph, then passed it over to Brett again. Now I could continue my thoughts.

Within a week, the walls I had built to keep other people out had come crumbling down. Each day, more and more of the wall fell until there wasn't much left standing. I began to understand the seriousness of this. I had messed up. I had let myself feel things that I promised I would block out. I had become so close to someone that I couldn't be with. And now, I was afraid that he had become too close to me as well. I decided that I was going to fix things. Not today, but tomorrow. Tomorrow in chemistry class. That's when I'll tell him. I can make up an excuse. I can tell him that I just wanted to be friends. Yeah, that'll work. I'll tell him that I'm already seeing someone. I zoned back in just as Brett was finishing up his paragraph.

He handed the paper over to me and I read the closing paragraph, with a little less enthusiasm. Within a few minutes, my emetophobia, OCD and germaphobia had robbed me of another thing. They had robbed me of someone who I truly connected with. I guess I can add Brett to the endless list of things I've lost in order to protect my health. Why did I have to be like this?