30 - [EDITED]

Ashley huffed in annoyance as she walked out of her class and through to her dorm room. It was a Friday and she had a two-hour gap between her classes. Then it was the weekend. She was thinking of ditching the class and going home to see her family.

They hadn't come to visit her but that wasn't the problem. For the last couple of days, no one was responding. Not to her calls, her texts. Not her family, not Paul, not Leah. Which only brought bad thoughts to her mind.

What if something had happened between them?

Ashley didn't want to think about it but what else could be the explanation? Had it maybe had something to do with Edward and Bella again?

Sure, the treaty said that they couldn't harm humans or turn them but it was the human in question who wanted to be turned. That technically wasn't a breach in the treaty. Well, there were too many unknown variables when the equatiın involved teenage shifters and forever frozen in time teenage vampires.

Ashley's phone started ringing.

Without looking at the caller she answered it. It was probably her family or Paul anyway. Or maybe her roommate.

"Ashley?"

It was not.

"Chief Swan?" Ashley asked. 

Why was he calling? He was the police chief and maybe he was calling because something happened to her family. It was his job to inform the next of kin.

Oh, god.

"Yes. Hi. Sorry if it's an inconvenient time," he quickly mumbled.

"No, no. Of course not. What's going on?" Ashley asked, her heart beating in her mouth.

"Well, that's what I was trying to figure out actually. What is going on?" 

Ashley furrowed her brows suspiciously.

"Regarding what?" Ashley answered back, dumbfounded.

She heard him take a deep breath.

"Look, kid, I can't play these games. Your father is not telling me anything. I need to know. What's going on with my daughter? Is she okay? What happened?"

Bella? What was wrong with Bella? She was supposed to be on her honeymoon with Edward. Edward was in control, he claimed that. And, and...

Oh.

If Ashley's grandpa told Charlie something it would mean that Bella was turned.

Oh, god. They had to fake her death and then start somewhere new. But, wasn't it too soon? Edward told Ashley over the phone a couple of days ago that Bella was leaning toward the idea of staying a human a little bit more.

What had gone wrong?

"Dr.Cullen tells me she's sick and that, that he can't cure it. That she went away, somewhere. At least tell me where she went," Charlie pleaded over the phone.

Ashley sighed. She was feeling bad about what she was about to do. She could understand the desperation in his voice but it was for his own good that he was left out of the loop.

"I'm so sorry Chief Swan but I think if my dad saw it fit, he'd tell you. I don't think it'd be appropriate for me to behind his back," she said. 

"Take care," she added quickly and ended the call.

But, something was nagging her mind when she entered her room. It was early, too damn early for Bella to be turned. Plus, if she was, her family would inform her. So that she would stay away. But this, this radio-silence, it didn't make any sense.