Chapter 14 ⚠️

Dabi's POV

It was late when I finally got home from league business and I didn't feel like cooking tonight either. Recruiting was always a hassle, and most of them were just used for the Nomu Project anyways. I'm not a fan of where things are headed with all that, but I owe that crusty bitch so I don't really have a choice.

   I knew Y/n should be close to getting dinner ready so I knocked on her door. No answer. Figuring that she'd gone to town or something, I go to turn away.

I'm stopped in my tracks when I hear the feint sounds of crying coming from inside the girls apartment. 'She's crying?'
I turn back and knock a second time. Still nothing. 'I knew something was up with her yesterday...' Getting worried I Knock again and again, she never answers. The muffled sobs just continue.

Turning the knob, I push the door open. "Good, it's not locked" it never was anyways, I took a mental note to talk to her about that habit later, as I followed the crying to her bedroom door. Her pained sobs on the other side giving me a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Too caught up in my worry to knock, I opened the door to see Y/n. She was a mess as anguished wails ripped through her trembling form, curled up sitting on the floor with her knees to her chest. Looking completely broken. My heart felt like it was going to fall apart seeing her like this.

I rush over to take her into my arms, wrapping them around hers in a tight hug. All of a sudden I look up to see my father, glaring at me with all the malice and contempt he had.

"What the fuck?!" I shout in surprise as he lets loose a torrent of red and orange flames in my direction. I flinch before grabbing the girl in my arms and pulling her out of the way of the blast.

My heart is racing, my breathing getting ragged as anxiety sets in. I notice a flicker of blue as I look down to see blue flames beginning to engulf me. 'W-what? B-but I didn't even activate my quirk!' I think as I see the flames of my quirk make their way to the h/c haired girl still in my arms. They were wrapping around her as I hear her wails of pain, I quickly throw her off of me in a panicked attempt to prevent any serious damage and feel myself slam into the wall behind me.

"Please...no!" I shout shakily. I was scared. Not only was that bastard of a father marching towards me, but I lost control and might have seriously hurt Y/n... or worse. I felt tears slipping down my scarred face. They were reminders of just what my quirk could do. I don't think I could live with myself if I hurt her like this.

I blinked the tears away and then everything was gone. No angry Endeavor, nothing had any signs of there being a fire, and Y/n looked untouched. She just was laying on the floor across the room where I'd thrown her away from me. Still sobbing, still trembling.

I hadn't realized that I was holding my breath the whole time until I let it out. I was in shock, confused, worried, but a little relieved too. 'What the fuck just happened?!' was all I could think.

Y/n's voice snaps me out of my shocked daze, " I really am a goddamned monster..." she sobs. 'Wait, What?... she didn't even do anything.'

I slowly make my way to her to see if I'd hurt her at all, my heart hammering in my chest. I go to move the hair from her face. I needed to make sure she was alright.

"DON'T TOUCH ME" she snaps before scurrying away to the other side of the room. I look up to see her watching me, eyes full of worry and fear and guilt. Tears were streaming down her already tear stained face.

"Y/n, I didn't hurt you did I? I thought-"

"What?" She cut me off, sounding completely confused and dumbfounded as she locked eyes with me.

"Did, I, Hurt, You? I didn't burn you at all did I?" I asked again, scared I really might have. "And where did my dad go? He was just here, why-" I was cut off again.

"Y-you're worried about me after seeing-" she stopped short as she got up to grab a hoodie from the foot of her bed and put those gloves she always has on before making her way towards me. A look of utter disbelief painting her face as she watched me.

I hadn't realize I was still crying, or shaking until I felt her hands on my cheeks. "Are you alright?" She asked, staring straight into my eyes.

Looking back into those e/c orbs, they were worried, and so, so sad. I scanned her face, her hair, and the rest of her for any signs that she'd been touched by any flames at all. There were none.

A sigh of relief slipped out of my lips as I pulled her into my chest and wrapped my arms around her tightly. So relieved that what I'd just witnessed was anything but real.

"What the hell just happened?" My voice was still a little shakier than I wanted it to be, but she gave me a tight squeeze before releasing me.

Taking a deep breath she began to tell me about her second quirk, what happened to her family when it manifested, having to stay at the quirk center for years to learn to control things, the reason she moved here.

Her words from earlier replayed in my head and I felt a pang in my chest. She really believed that she's a monster. She's never done anything wrong. I hadn't even the slightest suspicion that this warm, kind, fun loving, happy woman I'd come to know and care about was living with such a heavy weight on her shoulders.

My fingers find their way to her chin and bring her eyes back to meet mine. "You are not a monster. Do you hear me? You're not. Don't you ever call yourself that again." I say sternly, but genuinely. Her eyes were wide with surprise as her slitted catlike pupils dilated, going back to a more round shape.

Before realizing it, My body moved on its own as my lips met hers softly. She tensed up at first, but closed her eyes and quickly melted into it. Her lips were soft, and this kiss was light and quick. I've had my share of experience with women, but nothing had been as satisfying as those few short moments just now.

   I pull away, but I barely had time to acknowledge what I'd just done when she leans back in and kisses me a second time. I felt a jolt of warm electricity at the unexpected contact as her arms wrapped around my neck. She broke away to hug me tight. "T-thank y-you" she whimpers out as she starts to cry into my chest.

It wasn't the same cry of pain and hurt I'd heard moments ago, which was a relief. "You're a real crybaby today, Dolly" I chuckle, kissing the top of her head as I held onto her in my lap and let her cry it out. I explained why I threw her the way I did, knowing she probably misunderstood why. Although I decided to shift the blame onto the specter of my father that I'd seen, deciding to keep the fears of myself out of the picture.

It had been a while since I'd lost control of my quirk like that. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Usually when I let my anger get the better of me, which is pretty rare. The burnt patches of flesh on my body were proof that it was still a possibility though.

The experience left us both exhausted. As I sat in my own thoughts, she had fallen asleep. Her face was resting on my chest as she curled up in my lap on the floor.

Making sure not to wake her, I picked her up and put her under the covers on her bed. Slipping into the other side, I wrap my arms around her waist protectively and pull her close to me before nuzzling into the nape of her neck and closing my eyes, drifting off to sleep myself.

'So much for ignoring shit I guess...'