Chapter 42

Jeremiah's PoV

I followed Christopher to a corner of the hospital. I knew he was angry. Hell he was beyond angry. He was livid. I could practically see the steam coming out of his ears. The guy that had terrorised and ruined a whole year of his daughter's life had now got out of prison. I would be mad too if that was my daughter in this situation.

He stopped and I stood in front of him in silence. His arms were crossed over his chest and he was impatiently tapping his foot. I may be the mayor of New York but everyone knew Christopher Rose was the true ruler of New York.

"Well how about you fucking explain HOW on earth he got out Jeremiah?"
He whisper-shouted at me. My eyes widened.

"Y-You and I both know my father wasn't going to let him stay in there any longer. It was only a matter of time."
I tried reasoning with him but it was no use.

"Well I don't care how much of a good lawyer your father is? Why the fuck is he still in the city? Your the bloody mayor of New York. Can't you do something?"
I was getting angry.

"Don't you think I haven't done anything? I tried Christopher. I tried to get him banned from the city but you know how stubborn the fucking government officials are. They said it wasn't a valid enough reason to get him banned. They're all a bunch of old men and women that still live in the decade were my father was mayor. What else was I suppose to do Chris? My hands are tied. I don't want him anywhere near Lavender or my family. What do you expect me to do? I have nothing else."
I threw my hands up in the air in expiration. What does he expect me to do? I have nothing left in my deck of cards to play.

Christopher stalked closer to me.
"I don't care what you do Jeremiah. Make sure he keeps as far away from my daughter as he possible can. Hell even more. If I ever see him again, I can't guarantee he will come out alive. So you do everything in your power to keep him the fuck away from my daughter and her family and friends."
His finger was right in my face and I couldn't help but cower away. He was quite an intimidating man even if I was the Mayor of New York.

"I'm trying Christopher but I have a family to look after. You know how much I love Lavender. She's as much as a daughter to me as Nia is. But I need to make sure my own daughter, wife and son are safe before anyone else. They're my first priority. Just like your family. I love Lavender but I have to look after my family before anyone else's."

His eyes softened and he backed away from me.
"Jeremiah I know what you feel but I can't let my daughter go through that again. She couldn't even speak after what he put her through the first time. I don't want her to experience that again. She's my daughter Jeremiah. My only daughter. She means the world to me. Both my children do. What happens if he tries to get her again huh? She'll go back there. You know how bad it was there. Hell you were there yourself."

I shivered at the memories of that place. It was disgusting. A place not suitable for someone like Lavender. She was so soft and caring. That place was horrid and morbid. Who would expect someone to want to have their child go back there? I wouldn't want either of my children there.

"I don't want her to go back there either Chris but I've done everything I can. I love Lavender but you can't always rely on me just because I'm the Mayor of New York. I have my own responsibilities as a father. It's up to you, Antonio and Carlos to make sure she's safe. I can't always be there for her: I have to put my family first. Just like you have to do for your family."