Far Better

James woke up to the unfamiliar feeling of touch. Ophelia rested against him, sharing his warmth and stealing his fire. For the first time in what felt like eons, he slept peacefully. Yet his mind kept wondering why his mother kept this feeling from him. He'd never felt such a deep, fulfilling connection as he had with Ophelia the previous night. Just the memory of her breath and the sounds she made stirred something in him that he couldn't control. Maybe that was why?

He thought that after having her once, she wouldn't matter anymore. That is what he'd been taught, but instead he wanted to be with her more. He didn't want her to be away from him ever again.

She stirred beside him, greeting him with a smile in her half closed eyes that followed swiftly on her lips.

"James," she said sleepily as her eyes closed again, "Good morning."

"Good morning, my Toweh." he said.

"Toweh? What's that?" she asked.

"It's a Jelu word," he said with a smile."Like a nick name."

"Oh I don't know what that is either," she said, almost sadly. "I haven't learned that far yet."

"Don't worry it's easy. It's like when someone calls you something that is typically shorter or different than your actual name." he said rubbing her arm lightly. "Take a name like Jessica for example or Anthony. Back then you might say 'Jess' or 'Tony' if they were your friends. Some people with a names like Alexander might even be professionally known as Alex, Liz or Betty for Elizabeth. My mother used to call me her 'Vuguj.'"

"That sounds funny," she said with a giggle.

"I thought so too," he said kissing her on the forehead.

"What time is it?" she asked, leaning up on her elbows and looking around.

"Almost 8am," he said, "We should probably start the day."

"I must have overslept." she said. "I'm so sorry I fell asleep. I should get back to my apartment."

"Don't," he said, pulling her closer. "Please stay, you can go with me to the office and start working today."

"But if someone saw us..." she said hesitantly.

"Who's going to see, or care to? The humans whom I employ are all infected and there aren't any Jelumme that are supposed to be around at the moment." he said. "Besides, I wouldn't care if there were. It's not their business."

"What about the rebels?" Ophelia said doubtfully.

"If the rebels saw us, they would see the All-father going about his day with his personal assistant and secretary who happens to live with him in case he needs her in the middle of the night." he said. "You'll just have to move in now. Unless of course you would rather keep your apartment, and remain separate?"

"I don't, I don't know." she said, holding her hand up to her chin and biting her lip. "You don't know me very well, what if you don't like me all the time? I know what I said last night but..."

"Ophelia, Toweh," he said cupping her cheek as he stared at her beautiful eyes, "That would never, and could never, happen."

"Promise?" she asked honestly, her face etched with worry.

"Yes, I do." he said, smiling. "Come. Shower with me."

"Oh, but I don't want to be in your way." she said, shaking her head.

"Please?" he pleaded with a pout. "I've never tried it but I've always wanted to."

"Really?" she asked.