The Bonds of Family

Ophelia helped Indira pull the last layers of gauzy, sheer material over her head. He hair hung in long dark ringlets, intertwined with glittering black ribbons that sparkled like stars whenever she moved, or there was even the slightest rush of air. Ophelia took a step back to look at her.

"You look really beautiful," Ophelia said a bit sadly. "We're kind of going to be sisters now. Does that mean you'll be nicer to me?"

"I killed my sisters," she said completely serious.

"Good point," Ophelia said with a gulp. "Maybe just somewhat friends then?"

"I'll tell you what," Indira said, "You're leaving in a few days, so for Iago's sake, until then, at least, we'll be good friends. How does that sound?"

"Good." she said with a smile. "Anything that makes my brother happy.
You're what makes him happy, so that's good."

"Is it time yet?" Indira asked as she looked at the darkening sky.
"Nearly." Ophelia answered. "Are you nervous?"

"Honestly?" Indira said, "A little."

Ophelia tilted her head to one side. That might have been the only honest thing Indira ever said to her. The only time she lowered her walls even a single iota.

"Don't worry, you'll get through it." Ophelia said with a nod and a big smile.

"Let's go," she said, rolling her eyes.

Just like the that the walls were back and Ophelia giggled internally. At least she tried.

Ophelia peeked over at her brother as he walked his soon-to-be Ome down the center pathway and up to the row of altars. He was smiling brightly, and his hair hung down his back adorned with the same ribbons that Indira wore in hers. His blue eyes put the shimmering ribbons to shame whenever he looked at Indira. It was the same way James looked at her, and it was really beautiful to see.

James looked at them, and then the guests, speaking in Jelu and then translating for those in attendance. He led them to the first of the alters.

"One for the Goddess," he said, breaking the single red crystal that rested there, before moving them to the green altar, "One for the God."

He continued this for each of the eight altars, and just as she'd seen before the crystal dust spun around like a tornado, enveloping the three of them. Each time their skin briefly lit up with each color along the lines that were revealed by the moonlight. Except for James. His were different. Every time his lines became more blue and more prominent.

When they reached the final altar they were all breathing rapidly like they'd been sprinting for an hour. He crushed the final black crystal, as the suns final rays of light were snuffed out by the night.

Ophelia expected it to look like all the others but it didn't. It looked just like the ribbons that they wore in their hair and it settled over the three of them like a thick fog, until a sudden rush of wind was sucked toward them and launched them high up into the sky.

They came back down, slowly at first, the wind slowing their descent as it circled around them. The layers of material whipped around Iago and Indira wrapping them together and letting them go as they fell, like an invisible battle was raging on.

When they finally reached the ground, the black fog curled up and around them and James stood back as they whirled around each other in a graceful dance. The fog grew darker, settling like water as they danced across it. Every move they made sent ripples running over the surface making it shimmer like glass.

As it slowly dissipated they knelt in front of each other with their foreheads touching, tangled together like a cocoon. James pulled a dagger from his belt, making the guests gasp, even though they were previously warned that this would happen.