Part 3.4

Kim already heard about the whole skirmish. She was sitting in her and Lucinda's room. The sounds of them talking were faint but she understood the gist.

She sighed and lay on her bed, staring at the ceiling.

The last few months had been. . .uneventful, to say the least. They were escorted out of Starlight and onto this small mansion-like house. Since then, they stayed and took care of the house.

Sure, there were good things about it. Kim could finally get some good rest in a good bed. She could finally calm herself down after that mess. It felt unreal; once they were on the Celestial Cannon and now they were here as if nothing ever happened.

But there were bad things too. Emmalyn stopped talking to Kim after the incident. Kim worried that she left her already and that she might be useless again.

And then there were those visions.

Every night, she dreamed about mixed up things. They were things Kim couldn't recognize: a mystical forest, a library, and a medieval village. She even heard voices that echoed so much she couldn't recognize them.

Sometimes she woke up in the middle of the night, sweating profusely.

Kim looked down and laced her hand around her necklace. This was given from Lucinda to prevent Emmalyn from controlling Kim and going crazy over Zane.

She chuckled to herself. Those were good times. . .

Yes. They were good times, came a voice that rung in Kim's ear. It was a soft voice that she heard in her mind. There was only one person—er, ghost—who  could communicate to her like that.

"Emmalyn!"

Hello again, Kim. It has been a long time. . .

"Yes! What took you so long?"

Emmalyn faltered. I—that is what we will be talking about. I have come to a decision. She paused. We should talk somewhere else.

Kim looked around the empty room. She could hear the sound of chirping outside the window. She looked out and saw moonlight glinting off the foliage of the trees that extended as far as the eye can see. She looked at her necklace and nodded. "We should go outside."

So she stood up from her bed and rushed out of the room.

Once she closed the front door silently, a fresh breeze greeted her on the porch. She held down her dress and walked out onto the beach. Kim could hear the pounding of the waves on the shore. The wind only became stronger.

Her eyes locked on the moon, shining brighter than ever. But that was only one side of it. She moved her gaze around at the stars, twinkling at her arrival. She felt numb, somehow.

"Emmalyn?" she called out at the sea. Anyone who saw her outside like this would think she was crazy.

Ah. Yes, yes. Sorry, she responded. She heaved a sigh. I--I. . .do you want to know why I haven't talked to you ever since we arrived here?

"Yeah. It's because you recognize this place, right?"

N--no. It's something. . .something concerning me.

She swallowed. Kim didn't like it when she was this apprehensive. If it were like this, it meant they were in danger and that they needed to leave or risk their lives fighting once more. She hoped it wasn't that. The biggest threat of the world had been eradicated already. Surely not another will rise. . .