Part 5.2

The next day passed over like a shadow. The lodge was quiet again, despite the events of last night. There wasn't anyone in the room except for Melissa and Rowan. Zach was still sleeping on the couch.

His snores, although loud, were the least of her worries.

"Anything wrong?" Rowan asked her. He watched her wash the dishes.

"Yeah," she replied without making eye contact. She bit her lip. "I just got a call from the media department of my parents' company."

"Oh?"

She sighed. "Yeah. Apparently rumors about Aaron being a part in the Starlight incident began circulating a while back. Some of the people from the resort must had leaked it."

"That's not good." His eyes widened. He stood upright. "By the time that blows over, you would go bankrupt."

"I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about my brother when he gets back there."

They were both silent for a while.

"I plan on going ahead," she said slowly, looking at him now. "So I could straighten this out before you can arrive."

"Okay, but a speedboat can't cover that distance."

She smirked. "But my seaplane can."

He frowned. "I thought. . ."

"I called them about it. They're coming here in a few hours."

"You should take Aaron with you then." Then he looked at the faucet. "Melissa, the water's--"

"I got it." She turned it off. "Anyway, I think Aaron should stay until the cruise ship comes. He can bond more with the people here."

Before he could reply, she added, "And quashing those rumors would take a lot of publicity."

"O--okay." He sighed.

"Is that too much for you?" she asked him, a look of concern on her face.

"No, it's fine." He huffed. "When I was personally hired to protect your family, I knew the risks that came with it. I'll be able to adapt. I'm just worried about you."

She smiled faintly. "I'll be fine, I promise."

He return the smile warmly. "That's good, that's good."

Katelyn, Lucinda, and Kim were sitting on a mat by the beach. They were looking out at the crystal blue sea. But their mood was anything but positive.

Kim sighed. She didn't exactly know who this Zach person was, except that he was Aphmau's father and somehow played a part in all of this.

Looking at the others, she understood where they were coming from.

"I can't believe Aph let him in here," she mumbled, seething.

"Right," Katelyn agreed. "I don't know what Zach is planning, but I don't like it."

"But I trust Aphmau's decision," Kim interjected. "If she thinks he can change, then I'll stand by her word."

Lucinda looked at her. "I don't think he can change at all. He let all of this happen. He has a fault in this."

Kim took a deep breath. "I know that. It's just. . ."

"Just what?" Lucinda looked wild, offended with whatever Kim said. "He left his family for power. He played with things too powerful for him. It's because of him that I didn't get back my magic!

"Even if he said that he stopped when he knew that Aph died, I think he's trying to get closure so he can go back to being evil, or worse. . ."

Kim gulped. She got the idea. It was scary seeing Lucinda like this.

T

he three were silent again. The air felt tense and awkward, ironic for a sunny day. To distract herself, she ooked at Katelyn and saw an indifferent face. She seemed to be spacing out.

"I'm going to talk to her," Lucinda spoke up, bringing Kim back to reality. She stood up. "We need to convince Aphmau to let him leave. Katelyn, you coming?"

"Um. . ." Katelyn turned to her. "Sure. We need to get rid of him." She stood up.

Kim didn't want to argue. "You guys go ahead. I'll clean up."

They were already walking away when she was keeping the mat and umbrella. So much for relaxing.

Zane relaxed on the chair. The forest view from the back porch seemed like a nice, well-deserved getaway.

Garroth was still sleeping. Katelyn and Lucinda didn't need help on their garden right now. He had nothing to do in the house either. Nobody needed him, and he didn't need anyone.

It was only him, the air, and the forest in front of him. It was perfect.

Then the door creaked open.

"What is it now?" he grumbled in annoyance, a little too loudly.

"Am I interrupting something?" came Travis' timid voice.

"You were, but never mind. You came to talk, right?" He patted the chair next to him. "Take a seat."

Travis sat down. "How did you know?"

"Well, you came to me, not the other way around. You must want something." He shrugged.

He smiled sheepishly. "Yeah. I guess so." He took a deep breath. "I just realized we didn't know each other that much."

"I mean, you turned out to be the demon warlock and turned my brother against me so. . ." Zane chuckled.

Travis looked hurt. He looked down. "Sorry about that."

"Don't you think you aplogized enough?" He paused, realizing that came out as harsh. "We all know that it wasn't your fault. If anything, you should've moved on by now."

He didn't look comforted by his words. "It's not. . .easy. I have nightmares about it every night."

Zane's eyes widened. "Why are you telling me this?"

"You're the only one who I can talk to. Everyone seems busy with something else." Travis sighed and sat back. "This is stupid, honestly, talking to you."

"Well, that'a dumb idea," he grumbled. "Just, get over it, really. There's no use mulling it over when it's in the past."

They were both silent for a while.

"Do you. . .miss the old times? When we were just fooling around because we all had a crush on--" Travis mumbled.

"Shhh shhh," Zane interrupted. "Yeah I do, but please don't mention that. Times we're so much simpler back then."

"Ha! When Dante and I were fooling around. Remember that time I blew myself up to Love Love Paradise? Or that Halloween party?"

"I got pissed at everything. And then--"

"Oh! You were so obssessed with My Little Horsies--"

Zane groaned and covered his face. "Everybody knows that now?"

"Please." He chuckled. He smiled to himself. "Those were good times. But look at us now. We're barely our past selves, no?"

He relaxed on his chair. "Yeah, but we can be better than them. There's no use looking back."

Travis didn't reply to that.