Part 2.5

It all started with silence.

She heard no music and only her pounding heart, yearning for escape. After all those months in the hospital, she finally got to see him.

Aaron shifted uncomfortably on his seat. Aphmau just watched him squirming there. Some black strands of hair escaped from the red hoodie. He had a white shirt underneath it. Beneath those were scars that he couldn't remember. But to her, it was as clear as day. . .

She shuddered.

But something caught her eye.

He was wearing the blindfold. She didn't see it before, but there it was, wrapped around his eyes. It was once used for a different purpose, back then when they were. . .but now. . .Her own eyes watered. She sniffed. Lumps formed in her throat.

Aaron turned to her. "I'm. . .I'm really sorry." His voice cracked.

She broke down right then and there. She wiped her eyes with her hands as the tears rolled down her cheeks. Aaron opened his mouth and closed it again. He sat there awkwardly, not knowing what to do. Then he stood up and walked up to behind her. Then he wrapped his arms around her.

She felt it. The undying strength of his arms that has been through so many horrors and sorrows. She ran her fingers through his arms, going all the way down to his hands. She wrapped her fingers around his.

"Do you. . .do you feel better?" he asked. She could imagine his black eyes locking onto hers in front of her. His hand was extended to her.

Aphamu chuckled. "I'm. . .I'm okay. And I think that's nice."

Katelyn didn't get two cans of Coke for Aphmau.

She weaved through the crowd of people. The music was sinking into her, inviting her to dance along with her friends. The disco ball covered the entire room in blue and pink and white.

But she wasn't here for that. She reached the back door and slipped away, stepping into the back porch.

When she closed the door, it became less noisy. She took a deep breath, the wind combing her hair and caressing her face. Water droplets from the cola can dripped all the way to the floor.

She looked at ahead of her. She felt a feeling of mystery amongst the forest. The darkness hid whatever was there. But the light from the porch brightened her vision a bit.

And in front of her, sitting by the stairs, was Travis.

She moved to sit beside him. "Hey." She smiled.

"Hey," he replied. He ruffled his white hair.

Katelyn handed him a drink. "For you. Welcome home."

He accepted the drink. "Thanks." Then he cracked it open, a fizz escaping from the opening. She opened hers too and they both drank.

After a while, Travis set aside the can. "You know, the party was a bit much."

She rolled her eyes. "It was Kawaii~Chan's idea."

"Hm."

She took another sip.

"I'm okay with. . .this, y'know. This is enough."

"I'm not really in the mood for parties right now," she admitted, staring at the ground. "Especially since. . .after what happened."

That struck Travis. He tensed. "Uh, about that. . ."

She turned to his green eyes. Hers widened. "About what happened?"