Part 5.1

"Mom! Please, listen to me!" Aphmau exclaimed. 

She was back in her own room, in her own bed. Sylvana was pacing around, clearly in immense thought. 

Her mother whirled and faced her. "Are you crazy, mija?! He's the man who cost you great trouble, who cost us great trouble. And you just. . .let him in back into your life right away?!"

"Mom! Maybe he's changed. You heard it when he talked. He was willing for forgiveness."

"That man cheated on me, went with the enemy, and tried to tear you and Aaron apart! If anything, he is not to be forgiven!"

"Just. . .give him a chance. I know it's going to be hard on all of us--"

"Don't. . .UGH!" She placed her hands on her head and strangled her hair. "You clearly don't understand what you've done, mija! He is a traitor, a liar, and a complete. . .dar por culo! He needs to leave and never come back."

Those words stung Aphmau. "Just. . .trust me. And trust him. He'll come around."

"You want me"--Sylvana pointed her hands at her chest--"to trust the man who ruined my life? Ha! As if!"

"Mom please--"

She laughed. "You need some rest, mija. Maybe some sleep will change your mind about that tyrant. I'm taking my leave." Then she walked away, no doubt muttering a few curses here and there. Aphmau heard her close the door loudly. 

Aphmau stared at the bedsheets blankly. Ever since after the meeting, her mother was in an erratic state. Was letting Zach stay the right thing to do? Sylvana did raise some good points. He left their family for wealth and power and lost himself in it. He participated in the attempted murder of Aaron and his family. Now he came back begging for redemption. Was he even trustworthy?

Tears welled up in her eyes. She let them fall, wetting the sheet with each drop. 

Judging by her reaction, Aphmau may have made a wrong decision. 

Sylvana lay down in her cot, staring at the blank ceiling. Her thoughts were on a complete rampage, especially after she confronted her daughter about it. 

Then the door opened and she sat up. 

Eric stood there, his face stoic as it can be. "We. . .we need to talk." He closed the door behind him and drifted off to beside her. 

"You know. . ." he began. "You may have been too hard on Aphmau."

"But it's true!" she blurted out. "He isn't supposed to stay here!"

"Yes, but blaming her isn't going to help."

"She made that decision! She needs to feel guilty!"

"Are you hearing yourself?!" He tried to keep his voice even. "I know you're very angry, but think about this with your head."

When he said that, she felt like something clicked in her mind. She remembered all that she said to Aphmau. Her heart became heavy. She had done something wrong again. She failed as a mother again. 

She cupped her hands in front of her at the sheer thought. "¡Ay Dios mío! What have I done?" 

Zach watched awkwardly as the crowd shuffled around until it was only he and a few people left in the living room. 

Aphmau was eventually helped up to her bedroom. He presumed she must be injured. Sylvana climbed the stairs, stomping her foot in each step in anger. Eric followed her in earnest. The guy in a GF uniform left through the front door.