Part 4.2

"We need to talk," Melissa said to Rowan as she finished walking down the stairs and sat on the couch.

"Wait not right now," Rowan whispered. She was confused at first, but then she saw that he had a phone on his ear. He must be talking to someone.

She waited for him to finish. She turned away from him and looked at the TV, staring at the translucent reflection of herself.

A few minutes passed, and Rowan lowered his phone. He placed it on his lap and turned to her. "What is it?"

"It's Aaron." She couldn't help but feel giddy. "He's starting to remember things."

His eyes widened. "Really? That's great!"

"I know." For the first time in a while, Melissa smiled, genuinely this time. "I just hope that after all this, everything will be back to normal."

She remembered everything that happened in Starlight, which wasn't much. She only remembered being taken into urgent care by Toby. She saw the beam of light in the distance and heard the pounding of the waves on the shore. She eventually learned of the events after she almost died.

But that was in the past now. She was ready to move on. Then she frowned. But the others weren't.

Rowan lowered his voice. "How about Aaron's Ul—origins? Does he know about it?"

The room turned darker than usual. Her smile dissipated. She bit her lip. "I don't know yet," she admitted. "But what should we do once he finds out?"

They were interrupted by the sound of thunder. Melissa thought she saw a flash of lightning strike down on the distant sea.

The door opened and wind rushed in. Sylvana held it open with her foot and her arms filled with clothes.

"Melissa!" she screeched. "Help me with the clothes here! It's going to rain!"

She stood up and grabbed the clothes and placed them on the couch. Sylvana came back with another pile. Meanwhile, Rowan watched them awkwardly.

After all the clothes were sorted, Melissa sat back down on the couch. Sylvana thanked her and sat close to them, subconsciously folding the clothes. For a while, they were silent.

"Oh, uh. . ." Rowan mumbled. "Toby called me on the phone a while ago. He said that he had some news and will be coming over later."

Sylvana looked up. "We must be going home already." Then she returned to folding.

Melissa turned to the mom of Aphmau. She's a good mother, but right now she had a faint aura of sadness around her.

"What are you looking at?" Sylvana said sharply, interrupting her train of thought. "If you want to help me fold the clothes, stop staring like an idiot!"

Sheesh, Melissa thought. So much for that.

She turned to Rowan, then to Sylvana. "I'll fold the clothes. And you can cook some lunch for all of us. Being some for Aphmau and Aaron."

Sylvana was about to protest. Then she relented. "Fine." She stood up and left the piles of clothes to Melissa. "Be—be sure to fold them properly!"

Melissa only smirked.

As she walked on the hallway, Sylvana pondered on the feeling of helplessness. She reached Aphmau and Aaron's room and knocked on the door.

"Come in," someone said from behind. She couldn't recognize who it was.

Slowly, she opened the door and stepped into their room.