Part 4.4

"Aphmau!" Melissa finally exclaimed from the silence. "You should get down from there." She raced to the stairs and carried her down while Aaron followed. 

She turned to Katelyn. "Can you get her wheelchair? Thanks."

The blue-haired girl nodded and scurried off. 

Melissa set Aphmau down on the couch. Aaron sat beside her. "Does your legs hurt?"

"No, not anymore." She smiled at Aaron. "Thanks."

"Um, uh. . .no problem?" he replied. 

Aphmau looked at all the commotion that left the entire crowd at a standstill. Zach was there, bending over and clutching his face. The bloodstains left his pinkish shirt darker red. She couldn't believe it. 

Her dad was here. In the cabin. In the same place as her mom, his former wife. 

Mom never mentioned who he was. As she grew up, Mom always avoided that topic. That was, until Starlight. . .

"You know. . ." He rose steadily to his feet. "I'm starting to know why I cheated on you."

Sylvana was breathing heavily. Aphmau could see her chest heaving high then low. The others stood in bated silence, even Toby. 

"You. . .you. . !" she began. Then she prepared to do another punch. 

"Stop, honeycakes, stop!" Eric said, stumbling forward to Sylvana. He grabbed her arm in an attempt to stop her. 

Zach became perplexed. 

"Get off me!" she screamed. "Don't make me do it to you too!" Aphmau could hear the strain in her voice. 

She had enough. "Mom, Dad, stop! Please."

Now they turned to her. Their eyes widened. 

"Seriously, no one knew?" Melissa mumbled. 

"Knew it," Zane countered. 

But Zach didn't hear or mind them. He turned to Aphmau and smiled sadly. "I'm glad my daughter has inherited some decency from me, at least."

"She's not your daughter," Sylvana said, trying to refrain from hitting him with her signature chancla. 

Aphmau only scowled. "I'm glad I didn't inherit your heartlessness, Father." She cringed once the last word left her mouth. A while ago she was wistful over Aaron, now she was angry over Zach. And that sadness only added to the flames. 

He cleared his throat. "I propose an offer. I can help Zianna find Garte in exchange that. . .I come with you back, uh, home."

Sylvana only smirked. "You must've lost your mind after all those years, huh. Because we're not taking an. . .a scoundrel like you."

"I've changed and I want to see how's my. . ." He glanced at Aphmau. ". . .daughter doing."

"I said she's not your daughter!" Sylvana screamed and raised the chancla. 

Eric managed to grab the flip-flop and toss it away, somehow landing on Aaron's lap. "Let him talk, sugar cube. There must be a reason why he's here."

Sylvana turned to him. "Are you crazy?!" She pointed at Zach. "He needs to leave! I do not want to see his face before, and I still don't want to see his face now!"

"Mom, please. Let's listen. Just--just be sane for a second. Do it for me, please," Aphmau said gently. Then she hardened her voice: "Okay, Zach. Talk."

Sylvana tried to retort, but instead, her insults shrunk down to murmurs. 

He looked at Aphmau gratefully. "Thank you for knocking some sense into her. Sometimes, she can be a little. . .annoying."