Chapter 2

-Nora POV-
Year 847
Finally, 12 years old. Old enough to join the cadet corps.
"Nora, are you sure you want to do this?" asked my grandfather before she left for 3 years.

"Yes grandpa. I'm sure" I said and he hugged me one last time. I was wearing the uniform and under it my favourite light black hoodie.

"I'm very proud of you, Nora" he said and I smiled.
"Thank you, grandpa Dot" I said and he laughed.
"Now, go. Before I change my mind" he said and pushed me outside.
"I will, bye grandpa!" I shouted and went to the training corps.

~

I wasn't one of the firsts. There were a lot of people there.
"So many people..." I whispered.
"Yeah, it surprised me too" said a guy next to me. He had blonde hair and the bluest eyes I had ever seen. "I'm Armin Arlert" said the guy and smiled.

"I'm Nora Sato" I introduced myself. "Where are you from?"
"I'm... I'm from Shiganshina" he said and looked to the ground.
'Oh... that's where the wall fell...' I realised.
"I'm sorry, nobody deserves to go through what you went through"

"Hey, Armin. Making friends already?" said a boy next to Armin.
"Ah, Eren. This is Nora. Nora, these are my friends. Eren Yeager and Mikasa Ackerman" said Armin and pointed at the boy and girl next to him.

The girl had black hair and was really pretty.
"It's nice to meet you" she said.
"Likewise" I said and smiled.
"So, where are you from, Nora?" asked Eren.
"I'm from Trost District" I said and before I could continue, our instructor appeared. Commander Shadis...

We stood all in lines and looked in front of us.
'Here we go...' I thought and with my hands behind my back, I touched the bracelet under my hoodie.

"Hey! Mop top!" shouted Shadis to Armin.
'Mop top? Really? I get that you're supposed to intimidate us, but the cruel nicknames?'
"Sir!" shouted Armin and saluted to him.

"What do they call you, magget?" shouted Shadis.
"Armin Arlert from Shiganshina, sir!"
"Wow, seriously? Why would your parents curse you with such a dumb name?"
"It was my grandfather's, sir!"
Shadis bowed closer to Armin's face. "Cadet Arlert! Why is a runt like you here?"
"To help humanity overcome the Titans!" shouted Armin and closed his eyes.
"That is delightful to hear! You're gonna be a great light snack for them!" shouted Shadis.

I really had to try not to roll with my eyes...
"What do they call you, old lady!" shouted Shadis and I rolled with my eyes.
'I really can't help myself from commenting here...'
"Really? Old lady? That's the best you can do? Fine..." I sighed and saluted. "Nora Sato from Trost District, sir"
"Who taught you to speak like that to your commanding officer, you runt?" shouted Shadis at me.
"My grandfather, sir" I said and smiled. 'Grandpa Dot did always tell me to speak my mind'

I couldn't quite tell what Shadis was thinking. 'He's probably already out of ways to try to insult me'
He looked me straight in the eyes, and I just looked straight back. We just stood like that for what seemed an eternity. He eventually walked away from me to the next cadet.

"That was intense" said the other guy next to me. I had to look up. 'Man, why is everybody here taller than me. Height is so unfair'
"Well, my grandfather always told me to speak my mind and be honest. But I've always had a bit of trouble with authority" I whispered back.

"Reiner Braun" he introduced himself.
"Nice to meet you" I whispered and looked back at Armin. At least he's not so much taller than I am.
Shadis walked by us again and looked at Eren and Mikasa, but just walked past them.

"What do we have here?" shouted Shadis at a guy.
"Jean Kirstein from the Trost District" shouted the guy.
"And why are you here, Cadet?" shouted Shadis.
"To join the Military Police, sir. The best of the best" said Jean.
'The MP's? Well, that's a regiment I'll never be joining. They're all lazy fat asses if you ask me. I'll most likely be joining the Garrison Regiment'

"That's nice, you wanna live in the interior, do you?"
"Yes" answered Jean honestly, only to be headbutted by Shadis. By which he fell on his knees.
"Nobody told you to sit, recruit! If you can't handle this, Kirstein! Then forget about joining the Military Police!" shouted Shadis and went on to the next guy again...

My eyes landed on a girl who took out a potato... I nudged Armin and he looked at her too.
"Is she gonna...." I began and she took a bite out of it...
The Commander noticed this too and everyone was quiet...

"Hey, you there... what do you think you're doing?" asked Shadis and she kept eating... "You are officially on my shitlist! Just who the hell are you?!"
She swallowed the bit she had in her mouth and saluted with the potato in her hand...

"Sasha Braus from Dopper village, at your service. Reporting for duty, sir!" she shouted.
"Sasha Braus, heh? And what is it that your clutching in your right hand?" asked Shadis.
"A steamed potato. It sat there in the mess hall, begging to be eaten, sir!" she shouted.

"A theft, I understand. But here? Why eat it here of all places?"
"It looked quite delicious, and it was getting cold. So I gave it shelter in my stomach, sir" she said, so seriously. I had to hold in my laugh.

"Why? I can't comprehend?" began Shadis and I really had to work hard not to laugh. 'This guy takes it too seriously' I thought.
"Why would you eat that potato?" said Shadis.
"Are you asking me why people eat potatoes? I'm surprised you don't know, sir" she said and it was dead silent... everyone was looking at Sasha and the Commander. She broke the potato in two and held the smallest piece out to the Commander. "Here, sir. Have half"

"Have half?" said Shadis and accepted the potato... "Really?" he said and then he began to shout again... she had to run till the sun sets and she lost food privileges...

When we had to lay our stuff in the barracks, I jumped on my bed and finally let my laugh out. "That Sasha is hilarious, to eat a potato there of all places"

Mikasa laid her stuff next to me and sat down. She smiled softly. "Yeah, that was quite funny" she said.
"Hey you two" said a girl with blonde hair and blue eyes. "I'm Krista Lenz" she said and smiled.

"I'm Nora Sato, nice to meet you Krista" I said and smiled back at her.
"I'm Mikasa Ackerman" said Mikasa.
I rolled up my sleeves and began unpacking.

"Oh, Nora! I really like your bracelet! Did you make it yourself?" asked Krista and grabbed my hand. I pulled it back and wrapped my hand around the bracelet. "I'm sorry" she said and I looked at her.

"Oh, no. I'm sorry. I overreacted. You startled me, that's all" I said and smiled at her, which mad her loosen up. "To answer your question. No, I didn't make it myself. My father made it for me. It's the only thing I have of him"

"I see. It's really pretty, and I'm really sorry for suddenly touching you like that" she said and I laid my hand on her shoulder.
"It's fine, Krista. Now, let's unpack and get into some more comfortable clothes and eat shall we?" I said and she nodded.
I went outside with Mikasa and met up with Armin, Eren, Marco and Conny.

"Man, I thought that Shadis was gonna killpotato girl" said Conny while looking at Sasha who was still running.

"I know, what a hell of a first day" said Eren. "It's funny. Being told to runtill the sunset didn't seem to bother her nearly as much as losing mealprivileges for the next five days"

"I think she said she is from Dopper. If I remember right, that's a smallhunting village up in the mountains" said Conny.
"Hey, what's that?" asked Eren and pointed at a horse with a wagon.

"They're dropouts. They prefer to work in the fields" I explained.
"But, it's only the first day" said Eren.
"That's the way it is, if you can't handle the pressure, you got to leave" I sighed.

"I can't believe anyone would rather pull plants than fight" said Eren.
"I know about some of us. But you never mentioned where you're from, Eren" said Marco.
"Same as Armin. From Shiganshina"
"Oh, wow. That means..." began Marco.
"You saw it" finished Conny. "You were there that day"
"Quiet!" Marco tried to shush Conny.
"The Colossal, did you see him?" but Marco's efforts failed.

"Yeah, I did" said Eren. And unfortunately for him... the questions continued during dinner...