Chapter 13

-Nora POV-

We were brought to the Scouts HQ, where we would get lessons about the formation and signals.
Our training began immeadiatly. What stood out to me was the fact that Eren’s position was unclear in such a detailed plan.

What was strange to me, was that Commander Erwin offered me a place in a safer in the formation. Which I declined, I didn’t want to receive special treatment for who my family is.

“You rookies will be here, between the wagon defence squad and the support squad. You will run spare horses as well as relay signals” explained Commander Ness.
The lessons continued on like that for a month.
My side was finally healed, and I got my new ODM-gear.

~

The day before the expedition we finally saw Eren again.
“Mikasa, Armin, Nora!” he shouted and we turned around.

“Eren!” said Mikasa.
“Man, am I glad to see you guys” he said.

Mikasa grabbed Eren’s hands. “Eren, have they mistreated you in any way? Like subjecting you to any cruel experiments? Or some sort of mental anguish?”

“No, not at all” said Eren.
“That pipsqueak took things way to far. I will make him pay for it one day” she said with anger and hate in her eyes.

“Hang on, you mean Captain Levi?” said Eren. I looked up and saw the Captain with his horse.
“Hey Eren” said Conny, soon the whole gang was around Eren.

“Long time no see” said Sasha.
“Hey guys! You’re all here. Wait, if all of you are here, than does that mean that you all joined the Scouts?” said Eren.

“Yeah, of course you dumbass, why else would they be here?” I asked.
“Of course, so then Jean, Annie and Marco went to the Military Police then?” he asked. But his question was soon answered by Jean who stood behind him. “Wait a sec, you joined too?”

“Marco is dead” said Jean.
“He what? Wait, what are you saying? Marco’s not dead. You’re just kidding around right?” asked Eren.

“I wish I could tell you he died nobly or heroically. The truth is, I don’t even know how he went out. There was no one there to see it happen” said Jean.
“Marco’s dead…”

“All right, rookies! Line up! Your uniforms are here!” said Commander Ness.
We all got a cape and new logo’s on our jacket.

“So you guys are really…” began Eren, the evening before the expedition.
“We will be in the upcoming operation as well” said Mikasa.
“Hey, Eren. I heard that while you were in your Titan form you intentionally tried to crush Mikasa. Do you mind telling us what that was all about?” asked Jean.

“You’re wrong. He thought he was swapping a fly” said Mikasa.
“I wasn’t asking you. Oh, by the way. That cut on your cheek looks pretty deep. Just how did you get that again?” asked Jean and I rolled my eyes.

“Apparently it’s all true. When I was a Titan, I… tried to kill Mikasa” said Eren.
“Apparently? As in you don’t remember if you did or not? So basically you can transform into a 14 meter Titan at will. But when you do, you don’t have full control over it?” said Jean.

“Not yet, but that’s right” said Eren.
Jean turned to the rest of our friends. “Do you hear that everybody? What a fine situation this is. Our lives and the faith of all mankind rests on his shoulders. I’m guessing we’ll all end up like Marco. Dead, well before Eren even knows it”

“Stop it, what’s the point in chastising Eren now? Just give it a rest” said Mikasa.
“Listen, Mikasa. Unlike you, most of the rest of us aren’t just willing to throw our lives away for him on a whim. We need a reason. The truth. We want to know what we’re laying our lives down for. Otherwise, we might hesitate when the time is at hand. What we want, is a guarantee from Eren. Show us what you’re worth, prove it to us. We’re asking to make us believe that you’re worth dying for. You think you can do that? If you can… then we’re with you, all the way” said Jean and I smiled.

~

That night I couldn’t sleep at all. I went to the roof and looked at the stars, sitting on the edge with my hood over my head.

“Shouldn’t you be in bed?” I looked behind me and saw Captain Levi.
“Couldn’t sleep, sir. I’ve always been a bad sleeper” I said and he sat down next to me.

“I wasn’t the one you were expecting, was I?” he asked and I laughed.
“It’s mostly Armin who finds me when I’m out of bed, sir. He knows how much I love watching the stars” I said and looked up.

“So what’s the deal between you two?” he suddenly asked. And my face heated up.
“We’re good friends, sir. He’s the first friend I ever made. And he means a lot to me” I said.

“I see. Here, I made some tea” he said and gave his cup to me.
“Thank you sir” I said and drank from it. “This is delicious” I smiled.

“Want to tell me what’s bothering you, to keep you from sleeping?” he asked and I chuckled.

“What isn’t bothering me?” I laughed. “I guess I have this gut feeling about this expedition. There’s more to it than you’re telling us. Like for example, the position of you and Eren. It’s obviously not in the right wing, especially not with the spotters. That makes no sense. My guess is that you’re in the safest position in the formation. In the middle” I said and he looked at me. “Don’t worry, sir. I haven’t told anyone. There must be a reason you’re keeping it from all of us, right? So I’ll keep my mouth shut”

“You’re sure smarter than the others” he said.
“My mom used to say that I was too smart for my own good” I chuckled.

“Used to?” he asked and I looked down at my feet.
“She died 5 years ago, a few weeks before the wall fell” I explained and touched the bracelet under the hoodie.

“What about your dad?” he asked.
“I can’t tell you much about him, sir. I don’t know who he is” I said and took a deep breath. “He left me in front of an orphanage when I was 4. He said that it was for my safety. So he’s out there somewhere. I just hope that one day he’ll find me, like he promised”

“You don’t hate him for abandoning you?” the Captain asked and I looked him straight in the eyes.

“How can I hate someone I don’t even know? I know it might sound silly, sir. But when I think back to the day he left me. I never felt hate, only sadness. So I know he must’ve had a good reason” I explained and then shook my head. “Why are you so interested, sir?”

“Just talking, I hope I didn’t make you feel uncomferteble” he said and I sighed.
“You didn’t, I just haven’t talked about it in a long time” I said and it went quiet. “Sir?” I asked and he looked at me. “Will everything be alright, tomorrow?”

“I don’t know” he said.
“A lot of people will die, won’t they? Including my friends” I said and he nodded.

“Why did you decline the safer position?” he suddenly asked.
“I don’t see why I should be treated any different than my friends, just because of my grandfather. I want to be able to do things on my own, I want people to see me for who I am and not for who my family is” I explained.

“I get it, that’s very mature of you” he said and I laughed.
“I guess, I should probably go back to bed. Thank you for listening and for the tea, sir” I said and stood up.
“Good night, Nora” he said and I froze for a second, but walked back to my bed.