Chapter 16

-Nora POV-

The moment we got back, the Scouts lost custody of Eren…
“Nora” said Armin and grabbed my hand. “We need to talk to Commander Erwin. I think I know who the Female Titan is”

“What? Who?” I asked.
“Annie” he said and my eyes widened.

Armin told everything to the Commander, and me, Mikasa, Armin and Jean went to the Scouts HQ, where we saw Eren and Captain Levi. The others of our cadet squad were ordered inside wall Rose…

We walked in and Eren and Captain Levi were surprised to see us.
“Sorry to keep you waiting” said Commander Erwin.
“Sir. What the…” said Eren when he saw us. “Why? Why are you all here?”

“We believe we’ve uncovered the Female Titan’s true identity. She won’t slip away this time” said the Commander and laid out a map of the city of Stohess on the table. We all sat down around it. “The day after tomorrow, we’ll be passing through Stohess district in route of the capitol. That’s when we’ll strike. It’ll be our first and only chance to do so. Once we’ve set foot in the interior, the government will assume custody of Eren and the Scouts authority to continue operations will be limited. Thus… unless we wish to concede defeat, we must flush out the enemy now. So here’s what we do. While in Stohess we use Eren as bait. Luring the target in this underground passage, the deeper the better. Get her well beneath street level, that done she should be easily immobilised even in Titan form. If she transforms before reaching the tunnel, at that point she’ll be your responsibility, Eren”

“Right” said Eren. “So we know she’ll be in Stohess? There’s no chance she’ll bolt before we get there?”

“No she won’t risk going AWOL” said Commander Erwin.
“You mean she’s a... ?” asked Eren.

“Armin here identified her. She’s an MP. Likely responsible for the deaths of Hange’s test subjects and a fellow trainee in the 104th cadet corps” said the Commander. All of us were looking down, it was still hard to believe…

“You can’t be serious… I trained with her?” asked Eren.
“I’m sorry, but yes. She’s one of us…” said the Commander. “Her name, is Annie Leonhart”

“You think it’s Annie? Where’s your evidence? Tell me” said Eren.
“Obviously the Female Titan knew what you looked like before she attacked. Plus she reacted to the use of your ‘suicidal maniac’ nickname. Something only our classmates would know. But the biggest reason I suspect her, is that I have strong reason to believe she’s the one who killed Sawny and Bean” said Armin.

“Your kind of going out on a limb there” said Eren.
“Killing 2 Titans at once required a precision ODM-strike, it only made sense that the killer used the gear they were most familiar with” said Armin.

“But, there was that whole equipment inspection, Annie’s totally checked out” said Eren.
“Except, the gear she presented… well it… it wasn’t hers. It was Marco’s” said Armin.

“I don’t understand. What’s got Marco all to do with this?” asked Eren.
“It’s unclear” said Armin.
“Maybe you need to get your eyes checked” said Eren.

“Eren, I know what I saw…” began Armin, but he was interrupted by Captain Levi.
“Okay, we get it, you got anything else on her? Any sort of concrete evidence?” he asked.

“Nothing, sir” said Armin.
“There’s the fact that she looks like the Female Titan” said Mikasa.
“Really? What the hell is wrong with you?” shouted Eren and stood up. “What kind of evidence is that?”
“Basically, sir. It’s only circumstantial evidence” I said.